Is an appeal possible?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
somum

Is an appeal possible?

Post by somum »

My daughter got 342 in the Nonsuch exams but is 5 points down in English. We calculated that this is equivalent to one question in the exam.

She has passed Wallington Girls and also passed the first stage of Tiffin. She scored 259 out of 280 in the Tiffin Girls exams.

I have been upset all weekend but now was wondering if there is a possibility to appeal especially since we live 200 yards from the school. We are in the catchment

Please does anyone have any suggestions?
agathachristie

Re: Is an appeal possible?

Post by agathachristie »

Somum, that is a blow considering her aggregate score is so high. I don't know much about the appeals process but there are a number of experts on this forum who will probably give you some practical advice. The little that I have gleaned from this site is that if you wish to appeal you must put Nonsuch down as your first choice.
So many children of selective ability sit the test and many unfortunately fairly or unfairly do not make it through the process... Especially in your case where you live so close to the school.
somum

Post by somum »

thanks and I have added Nonsuch to the CAF. Any other advice would be appreciated from anyone out there.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

By the way what are her current levels in English at school ? (reading/ writing) it would probably help to gather evidence of her current levels and predicted grades to support an appeal application.
somum

Post by somum »

Her current levels for English and Maths is 5a. She was also in the room where there was a lot of disruption causing the results to be sent out on a later date.
Last edited by somum on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
somum

my daughter - 5 point down and high score. Help please

Post by somum »

I was also wondering if anyone knows what the appeal process entails and the documents I need to start gathering.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

You can only appeal for a place when you have been formally declined. That will happen in March.

Mitigating circumstances play a lesser part under the current Appeals Code than under the old one but it is worth speaking about the disruption in the room especially if the invigilator’s notes can corroborate that the disruption was serious enough to be recorded and took place at the exact time the English test was being completed. Did you make the school aware of your concerns straight after the test? This too might add some weight if it proved that you considered the English test to have been especially disrupted.

The other part of the appeal focuses on academic ability and anything that can demonstrate that your daughter’s score is not indicative of her high ability in this subject. School work, reports and SATS work all come into this along with anything else you may have. Distance to school will not usually play any part in an appeal decision unless there is a special reason eg medical reason that a short and easy journey is more necessary for her.

The appeal process entails filling in a form in March stating your intention to appeal. You can submit your written evidence at this stage too and you will then attend an appeal hearing in summer where a panel will decide whether you have been able to prove that you daughter is of selective ability and if it would be more harmful for her to be declined a place than it would be for a full school to be forced to take an extra pupil. The school puts a case forward too to explain why it does not feel it can take extra pupils.

There are brilliant advisors on the appeals section who can give specifics on what to gather, what to ask for and how to present everything but that is a brief overview of what happens.
somum

Post by somum »

thanks for this and I will start collecting evidence for the appeal from her school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now