Verbal Reasoning - BIDMAS/BODMAS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
strictlyfriends

Verbal Reasoning - BIDMAS/BODMAS

Post by strictlyfriends »

My dc was doing a practice vr paper today 'First Past The Post' and she got a few maths questions wrong. I also agreed with her answers until I realised they were using BIDMAS to solve the sum. To be honest I had no clue about BIDMAS my teenage son had to explain it to me. DC has always answered maths questions from left to right! Does anyone know if Bucks use BIDMAS? I now don't know whether to teach my dc the theory of this as it may totally confuse her and/or slow down her answering. What do you think?
daveg

Re: Verbal Reasoning - BIDMAS/BODMAS

Post by daveg »

strictlyfriends wrote:My dc was doing a practice vr paper today 'First Past The Post' and she got a few maths questions wrong. I also agreed with her answers until I realised they were using BIDMAS to solve the sum. To be honest I had no clue about BIDMAS my teenage son had to explain it to me. DC has always answered maths questions from left to right! Does anyone know if Bucks use BIDMAS? I now don't know whether to teach my dc the theory of this as it may totally confuse her and/or slow down her answering. What do you think?
2x3+4x5=26. Stating that it's 50 is simply wrong. This isn't a matter of choice.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Strictlyfriends

If, and it is a BIG IF, Bucks keep the the same VR test for next year, you do not have to teach your child BIDMAS.

Take a look at the following link with regard to relevant papers.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

patricia
strictlyfriends

Post by strictlyfriends »

Thank you, thats a relief.