Is it worth applying to MGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Loosemummy

Is it worth applying to MGS?

Post by Loosemummy »

Hi there just wondering if anyone knows about this?
We live in one of the named parishes for Maidstone grammar school but Dd's score is a couple of points off their threshold as they state you need 390 rather than just a pass I think??
I know that way down in the criteria you can get in with that but is it likely? Has it happened before? And if we like it ( not visited yet) should we still put it first if we haven't got the score required?
Hope this makes sense!! Tried searching the forum but doesn't seem like MGS gets mentioned very often!
Thanks for your time! :)
monstermum

Re: Is it worth applying to MGS?

Post by monstermum »

The school intake is roughly 60% of boys with 390 and then the rest of 360 and above. This 2nd group is boys who live within about 5 miles from school. There is an urban myth about MGS which just isn't true about needing 390. At the open evening they have a room where you can ask if you live close enough and has a map of their catchment. My son is in Year 8 and I've been really impressed with it so far. If you have any questions please ask.
Loosemummy

Post by Loosemummy »

Thank you monstermum very helpful reply- everyone is so lovely on this site!! :D
I'm sure we're within 5 miles of the school, will have to check. But really good to know I can ask at the open evening and get info on this. Didn't want to visit if there wasn't much chance of us being able to go really as the whole thing has been enough of a roller-coaster for DD already!
Heard really good things about the school so really looking forward to it,
Thanks again!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi :D I'm in the same position..DS is just under the 390 but has a brother already there .I have emailed the school to find out what percentage they take over the 390 and the chances of DS getting in ( we're also in a named parish..but not that near ). Haven't heard back yet, but will be at the open evening on Tuesday anyway. Look out for DS1...he's apparently in the food tech room :roll:

PM me if you like . :)
Loosemummy

Post by Loosemummy »

Woops just realised put DD instead of DS- he would NOT be happy!! :shock:

Hi Scarlett!
Ooh yes will look out for your DS1 :D hopefully having a brother there already and being in a named parish should be fine for you- fingers crossed!
Did it take long for your DS1 to settle in?did he start with many of his friends from primary or was it all a fresh start? ...my DS's main worry lol!
Yes will prob PM you to find out the response of your email if you don't mind?-thank you!
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

My DS was the only one from his school to go and he was settled within a week and has been super happy ever since. One thing we did when he started was a little sheet of paper for each day giving the rooms of each lesson and how to get from one to another. We also practised going on the bus! We had an issue early on with anothwr boy - I emailed the head of year - it was dealt with that day and hasn't been a problem since. Seems so long ago now!!

Scarlet you will definetly get on with a sibling link. They then go 5 miles after siblings for those with 360 :D
raymae

Post by raymae »

I am very interested in Mgs ... My son has a pass of just over 390, But we are deffinitly way over 5 miles from the school. What chance would we stand do you think? (No siblings there either) x
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

We have the opposite problem; DS really wants MGS but we don't live in a named parish and despite his very good score I am not sure we will get in. We will be behind you in the queue for the little room on Tuesday ;-)
nicnacnoo

Post by nicnacnoo »

Scarlett, we're in the same boat as you -ie. DS got just under the 390 and has a brother already at MGS. I'd be interested to know the response you get to your email from the school.

I thought that I'd seen a letter on their website that suggested that the school only filled about 30% of its places with 390+ pupils... but maybe I was dreaming...
nicnacnoo

Post by nicnacnoo »

MGS has confirmed that in 2012 they took 112 boys with a score of 390+, then 8 boys with a score of 360-389 who had siblings at the school and then 55 boys with a score of 360-389 based on their distance to the school.

Hope that helps...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now