Pates - do any children buckle under the pressure?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConfusedProudMum

Pates - do any children buckle under the pressure?

Post by ConfusedProudMum »

When we looked around Pates a few weeks back we were really impressed at what they had to offer and what they said at their presentation. The results are amazing but just wondering if any of you who have been through this before are aware of how much pressure is applied to squeeze out these results. I couldn't live with myself if I put too much pressure on my DS and he caved in.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
bobbym

Re: Pates - do any children buckle under the pressure?

Post by bobbym »

I know quite a few children at Pates, including my own & they all seem very happy there. I don't really think they 'squeeze' these results out of the kids- they are very able children & the teaching and pastoral care are excellent as far as I can tell. Hope that helps.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Obviously I wouldn't venture to surmise what may happen in individual circumstances.
Pate's kids are expected to do their homework, strive to achieve their targets and perform to their best.
Not all kids do all of that all of the time, but neither do they at other grammars or comps.
I have two DCs at Pates and they certainly don't seem pressured to me but I do ensure they are not heavily scheduled outside school.
Maybe that is because they have not hit GCSE's yet (who knows what format they will take in these 'twilight' years before Ebacc!) I'm of the impression if a child passes for Pates, or whatever grammar, they are usually able to cope with the workload. Bear in mind there have been kids in comps getting a raft of A* and A's as well as at grammar.
There is an expectation of more than rote learning. They are taught facts and principles and oft times in exams they are expected to work out how to apply those to problems they have not encountered in class. They are certainly not spoon fed information. High standards are expected and most kids, with no doubt solid parental support, seem to achieve them. There are plenty of opportunities offered to 'stretch' the most able and I am sure (tho never needed it..YET!) help if someone is finding the workload difficult.
Not sure that helps you in any way as terribly subjective but I can only state as I find from a personal perspective.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I would expect the same number as in any other selective school. Certainly SHS has very good pastoral support and tries to encourage a great home/school balance. At a recent Y10 parents evening they were emphasising out of school activities as a good release from academic stress - and important for uni application / CV's.

I would be surprised if Pate's were any different.
Capers
blessed mum

Post by blessed mum »

Iam new.just joined.Ds is position 139 for pates what are the chances of him getting a place .any tips or experiences would be great
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

That rank would have got him a place in the previous two years. Well done DC.
Frostythesnowman

Post by Frostythesnowman »

I think all schools have their pressures. Some schools are good at spotting those under extreme stress as their pastoral care is so good. I don't know about Pates personally, but they aren't the only schools around here to have suffered in terms of suicides...but that's the very extreme and its not just pressure of school that causes children to be that desperate. Is this the extreme type of buckling the OP was referring to?
As for general pressures, I do know of someone who got in from the waiting list last year who has struggled with the workload, but is coming through the other side now.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

My experience of Pate's has been that their pastoral care is very good. My DS got in 2 years ago with a good score (ie y8 now) and this term has really gone off the boil. :shock: They are monitored regularly and have discussed strategies with him to get him back on track. He says he is not aware who of his peers was in top 120 and who on the waiting list (I have no idea if this is discussed amongst them) They do have high expectations of their work but it seems reasonable and I am glad of this as my DS will do the bare minimum at times!
Last year he did very little in terms of extracurricular activities and this year I think he has bitten off more than he can chew! I think there is so little academic difference between any kids in the top 160/180, and probably very much beyond that, that I really wouldn't worry. All kids have strengths and weaknesses and I do feel that the school nurtures these. I would chose the school based on family convenience (it's our local GS and this was a big concern for us as we both work full time in Cheltenham) and whether you and your DC like the feel of a place.
I can see why some people wouldn't like Pate's, it's not for everyone. Equally I didn't get a warm feeling on seeing HSFG but so many people (girls and parents) love it.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 is only yr8 at the moment.
He is certainly not feeling any pressure at the moment, he is to busy having fun and enjoying the variety of subjects that he is studying and the activities that are on offer.
He has also made a number of friends throughout the school and is really happy.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.