Sats scores at Year 4

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bucks mum

Sats scores at Year 4

Post by Bucks mum »

Could anyone tell me what scores a child should be getting for Y4 sats. My son got 3a's across the board but I was hoping he would score higher as he received similar in Y3.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The "average! would be 3s although a child is expected to progress 2 sublevels in a year,
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Hi Yoyo123,

just seen your post - can I clarify something please? I am under the impression that a child is expected to progress by three sub levels every two years, so 1.5 per year. This would take them from a 2b (average) in year 2 through to a 4b (average) at year 6.

Thanks
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Sorry, submitted before I'd finished. Therefore the expected average at the end of yr 4 would be 3b so 3a is slightly above avg.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you are looking towards Grammar entry I would expect low level 4s in Y4
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

just going from targets at school. but youare probably right!

The problem is teh "average" child that is bandied about, particularly teh classic Dfee comment that " all children should be average or above!"
Guest101

Post by Guest101 »

My son's school would not give us his year 4 SAT score, other than to say he is 2 years above the level expected. What does that mean? :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest101 - you need to write and formally request his level - they have to tell you.

from what you say I would guess he got level 4.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now