can you solve this???

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

unknown

can you solve this???

Post by unknown »

[size=24][color=red]im a kid in year 5
im stuck on a question from nfer paper :(

Dr Shah's car is 5m long thats the average of all 4 cars in the parking bay.The council wants to build a new bay leaving 2cm each side in each car space.
How long is the new bay going to be :?: [/color] [/size]

Post by Guest »

Hi kid,

what are you doing up on the internet at 10.23pm???
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Anonymous wrote:Hi kid,

what are you doing up on the internet at 10.23pm???
Asking maths questions I Guess.

unknown wrote: Dr Shah's car is 5m long thats the average of all 4 cars in the parking bay.The council wants to build a new bay leaving 2cm each side in each car space.
How long is the new bay going to be
On the whole I think its quite a nasty question.
right 4 cars
now they could mean 5x4 + 3x0.02, ie 4 cars with 2 cm between them..
but it does say 'in each car space' which to me means one of those white rectangles .. so each space would be 5m + 0.04m (2cm each side

so the total would be 5.04 x 4 or 20.16m

hmmm.....
unknown

thank you

Post by unknown »

thankyou for telling me the answer.
it will help in the entrence exam :P :D :) :wink:

from kid
katel

Post by katel »

I seem to remember this question. Hasn't it got the word aproximately - or soemthing like that in it? I think we got the answer wrong because we were too exact!

Post by Guest »

would you really loose the mark for being sxact rather than approximate? It does seem rather pedantic to me!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Guest

It depends on whether the question is multiple-choice or not. There are quite a few estimate, approximate, roughly type questions that come up, but the actual correct answer does not occur in the answer options.

Regards

Mike
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I remember this question: it DOES depend on whether it is multiple choice. The latter provides a rough (approximate) answer which you have to choose. Because I did not provide my kid with the multiple choice answer booklet on the day that he did this question, he gave me the exact answer along the lines developed above.

Regards,

It depends on whether the question is multiple-choice or not. There are quite a few estimate, approximate, roughly type questions that come up, but the actual correct answer does not occur in the answer options.
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is a very poor question - how could cars park in such a space!! Totally unreliastic - the sort of 'everyday' probelm that just hasn't been thought through!!

Post by Guest »

I think the added space per car was about 1.5m. The answer from memory is 27.5m, but the approximate answer is 28m. The trick to this is to read the question.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now