Thrown a curve ball - Appeal - what do I do?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Smiley-Mum

Thrown a curve ball - Appeal - what do I do?!

Post by Smiley-Mum »

Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker but first time poster :) I've shared your joy and pain from a distance but wonder if any of you lovely people can help me. Here's the short version:

DD1 always been very bright and, whilst was not tutored for the Kent Test, did practice papers regularly as she wanted to attend the local Grammar School. She completely bombed the exam :( Maths 105 NVR 107 VR 112 - a complete shock to many. When I rang the HT for her scores, she explained that she could not appeal for her as her scores were too low. So, disappointingly, but remaining upbeat for DD1, we started to revert to Plan B - fortunately both the other 2 High schools in our area are outstanding :D

Tonight, it was Parents Evening. DD's teacher could hardly wait to shut the door to beg us to appeal for DD. She said she would be fully supportive, accompany us to any appeal as our DD was "definite Grammar School material." Teacher read from some of DD's books ending with "This work is outstanding, she MUST go to Grammar school."

We were quite surprised at the Teacher as, despite DD's low scores, since the school know her ability and the standard she is at we couldn't help feeling let down that the school didn't even TRY an appeal. They knew the results were not a true reflection of her ability. Our DD was not outwardly unwell at the time of the tests but did suffer with her first migraine afterwards. She was nervous, as most were, but other than that we are at a loss to know why her scores were so low.

DD is only just getting over not passing, and so IF we do appeal we're tempted not to mention to her - we just don't want her to go through it all again if an appeal is unsuccessful. I'm going to telephone the school in the morning to get an urgent appointment with either the Head (who likely doesn't even know our daughter as she's so quiet) or the Deputy (who knows our daughter well, having taught her and who, according to DD's current teacher was 'devastated' that our DD did not pass).

Has anyone any advice as to what I should be asking and how I should be playing this? The Head, whilst actually a very good leader, is not a fan of the Kent Test or Grammar schools and I wonder if this influenced her decision not to appeal on my DD's behalf? Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the do's and don'ts of appealing?

Many thanks
yoyo123

Re: Thrown a curve ball - Appeal - what do I do?!

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Smiley mum !

All the appeals info and guidance here is excellent...try and read as much as you can before you see your ht. I feel your agony and sense your optimism following Parents evening but would caution against saying anything to your dd . They do not need to know about any appeal. I wish that our ds had not been so desperate for us to appeal for him and his knowledge of the far off appeal was very unsettling for him.

It is great that your dd's teacher would take time out of her day to support you at appeal but I think that she could only be there to offer support. I may be wrong though :roll: Ht reviews are usually limited to dc's who are just one or two points off the passmark perhaps with exceptional circumstances . They need solid evidence in year 5/early year 6 classwork too. They don't put children up for review with lower scores than that as it calls their judgment and credibility into question. I know that it sounds very unfair. My dd scored far higher than her school expected-she didn't pass but got 380. I knew that they wouldn't consider her for ht review as her sats levels are only around average. I think your best bet is to see the ht and ask if they would support an appeal for the grammar school by writing a letter of support. If her nc levels are that good I am sure that you will get your ht . Do appeal if you really feel that it is the best school for her but bear in mind the wise words of the appeals q and a !

Good Luck x
Smiley-Mum

Post by Smiley-Mum »

Thank you yoyo123 and tigger2. I have spoken with the Deputy Head now and feel happier about going for an appeal. Looks like I'm here for the long haul then.....