Pates twilight

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blessed mum

Pates twilight

Post by blessed mum »

Ds is number 139 for pates.iam so worried.i dont want to give him high hopes that he would get a place in pates.He is well above qualified for Tommies.iam new in this forum.i would appreciate any tips.
dr.watson

Re: PATES TWILLIGHT

Post by dr.watson »

blessed mum wrote:Ds is number 139 for pates.iam so worried.i dont want to give him high hopes that he would get a place in pates.He is well above qualified for Tommies.iam new in this forum.i would appreciate any tips.
What I have learnt is that you have to put Pates as your 1st choice in the CAF and if not qualified due to 120 places get filled up is appeal and be in the wait list. Also I think there is high chance for your DS as Pates had to offer to Top 160 as not everyone took Pates. This year they dropped to Top 180 just in case.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi blessedmum. If Pate's is your preferred choice then put it first on your CAF. You have a good chance of getting a place on allocation day (going by previous two years). If you should happen to not get a place the school you put as second preference(STRS?) will become your effective first choice, and be considered alongside those who put STRS as their first choice. HTH.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I know exactly how you feel (Ds1 was 138 for Pates 2 years ago). We coped by reminding Ds1 that he was extremely fortunate that he knew he would be going to a great school no matter which was offered in March. We also reminded him that a number of his friends didn't know for sure if they were going to be offered the school that was his backup so he was in a better position than most (and not to voice his concerns outside of the home as that would be a little insensitive).
We talked a lot about how great his second choice school was and not to get his hopes up etc (I later learnt from his headteacher that he had told her that he was really hoping for Pates, so I'm not sure how much notice he took of my talks!)
I also (vaguely) remember a lot of wine being consumed....
Good luck to your Dc, they have done well to get into such a great position. I hope you get the school that you want.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
blessed mum

Post by blessed mum »

Thanks all .All these information really helps.Turtleglos did your DS1 then finally get a place in Pates?.
blessed mum
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Blessed mum, im sure she wont mind me saying, yes turtleglos' ds did get a place, he always seems happy and unworried if that helps
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

You should be confident. DS placed 120's for Pates and we've decided on Marling. (finally!) Good luck.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

What sensible advice from turtleglos. You really are in a win/win situation. I think it would be highly likely that your DS gets a place.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Bless you Stroudydad!
Yes Ds1 was offered Pates at the March allocation. Being a bit (lot) of a science geek he absolutely loves the school. He thinks that he is in the middle when it comes to work and doesn't appear to be struggling which was one of our fears when he started. He has been told that he needs to put more effort into a subject that he is less interested in though(hmm) but since he settled in has been participating in a lot more activities. It is great to see him blossoming.
Oh, I'm not sure what the school do about homework either as I never see any! He assures me that it is mainly done at break/lunchtimes when he has no clubs with the odd bit being done in his room.
Despite the travelling- which he loves and the early morning starts, Ds1 wouldn't change schools for anything.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
blessed mum

Post by blessed mum »

thanks all for the information;we shall stay positive
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now