CAF Advise

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sonia

CAF Advise

Post by Sonia »

Hi,

Extremely thankful to this wonderful forum for guiding me on every ocassion.

I am about to submit the CAF and need guidance. We are living in HP13 since Feb 2012 as we moved from Slough to High Wycombe

This is my order of preference
1) Wycombe High School
2) Beaconsfield High School
3) Chesham Grammar School
4) Highcrest Academy, The
5) Sir William Ramsay School

Can some please tell me

>>What shoud I what should I write in
Other Reasons

You may tell us of any other reasons to support your application. If you have selected this school for social or medical reasons you should give more details below. You may be contacted to discuss this further.
>> I need to fill in another school which should I opt for Dr Chaloners Grammar School or Holmer Green.

>> Which secondary school is the best High Crest Academy, Sir William Ramsay, Holmer Green School?

>> My daughters first choice is WHS. I want to know if she scores 121 she will be given a place in WHS in the first round on the Allocation day. Is there any second round and the scores drops below 121?

>> Suppose a child doesn't get 121, what will be the scenario of prefrence 1,2 , 3 , Dr challoners( if i put Dr Challoners on CAF on number 4) they all will be skipped.
>> If the child gets 121 or more that means that child can get place in any of above 4 grammar schools irrespective of the catchment?

>> Should I put Dr Channoners Grammar School or Homer Green on the CAF?

We are new to this 11+ system , moderators / seniors help will be highly appreciated in filling in the CAF as I planned to submit it today.

Regards

Sonia
scary mum

Re: CAF Advise

Post by scary mum »

If you are close enough (see the previous allocation profiles to get an idea) you will get WHS on allocation day if your DD gets 121 or over. The scores do not fall below that later, although you can appeal if your DD doesn't get 121. If DD doesn't get 121 and doesn't get through an appeal the grammar schools are simply crossed off the list and the next one on your CAF which you are eligible for will be allocated - so make sure one of your choices is a school you KNOW your DD will get into.

I don't know about the other non grammar schools but I'm sure someone can advise you. If you are sure of getting WHS with a pass there seems little pointing putting the other GSs down to me, but I may be wrong and I suppose it doesn't do any harm.
scary mum
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks Scary Mum as usual for a prompt reply. Hopefuly someone else will share his/her thoughts.

Can we apply or Dr Challoners as when I checked the distance of google maps it was showing me 8.2 miles . I also checked Allocation profiles on the forum and it says IA to 7.667 mls

Sonia
drummer

Post by drummer »

You can apply for ANY school you like but the Allocation Profile will give you an indication as to how far the allocation has gone in previous years as measured against the school's admission policy.

Put them in your real order of preference.

You only need to put reasons if there are real, strong reasons why you think it important your child goes to that particular school. The sort of reasons that you might base an appeal on should you need to launch an over subscription appeal.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sonia wrote:Thanks Scary Mum as usual for a prompt reply. Hopefuly someone else will share his/her thoughts.

Can we apply or Dr Challoners as when I checked the distance of google maps it was showing me 8.2 miles . I also checked Allocation profiles on the forum and it says IA to 7.667 mls

Sonia
The allocations can change, so beware of that and don't assume anything - always have a safe one. I think allocations are changing to straight line distance this year. You van apply anywhere you like :D
scary mum
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks Scary Mum & Drummer,

Can someone please help me in deciding which one is the best of these three academically

Highcrest Academy (closest to my house)
Sir William Ramsay ( second closest)
Holmer Green ( third closest)

Sonia
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Hi,

I am also in the process of accomplishing this. I've noticed that you are intending to put all Grammar Schools in your preferences. As we have two possible Grammar School choices in our area, I was actually advised by a headmaster from an upper school that I have to really choose between the two and just put in one- since, IF my DS passes the required grade, he would get placement on whatever I put as 1st preference- since we are in the catchment area. And if he doesn't pass, and I placed both, they would just be disregarded and in effect had lost an upper school choice. So even if my son and I like both available Grammar schools we had to choose what we think is best for him. And then we went throught the process of choosing the best upper school, that includes the catchment upper school that's possible for him.

Wish you and all the parents accomplishing the CAF all the best.
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Correction: Three Grammar schools amongst the 5- not "ALL"
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

StacatoMum wrote:Hi,

I am also in the process of accomplishing this. I've noticed that you are intending to put all Grammar Schools in your preferences. As we have two possible Grammar School choices in our area, I was actually advised by a headmaster from an upper school that I have to really choose between the two and just put in one- since, IF my DS passes the required grade, he would get placement on whatever I put as 1st preference- since we are in the catchment area. And if he doesn't pass, and I placed both, they would just be disregarded and in effect had lost an upper school choice. So even if my son and I like both available Grammar schools we had to choose what we think is best for him. And then we went throught the process of choosing the best upper school, that includes the catchment upper school that's possible for him.

Wish you and all the parents accomplishing the CAF all the best.
If you want your son to go to a GS if he passes you have to put the grammar school first (and second, third etc if you want to put other GSs on the list). If your son does not pass the 11 plus, these will be simply crossed off the list, and the highest ranked school that he is qualified for, at which they are able to offer a place will be offered. If you put an Upper School first on the list and are eligible for it under their rules, your son will not be offered a grammar school place even if he passes. The way the offers work is that they offer the highest ranked school from your CAF that your son is eligible for. The headmaster has mislead you if I am reading your post correctly. See the myths and legends at the top of the Bucks page - it probably explains it better than I can as I am not expert, just a mum who has been through this 3 times :D .

The fourth post down is a similar question: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=8901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks scarymum for the reply.

Headteacher has not misled us.

I will put it like

1) Wycombe High School
2) Beaconsfield High School
3) Chesham Grammar School
4)
5)
6)

I am asking the ranking order for the 4th, 5th, 6th option ( which one is the best High Crest, Sir William Ramsay, Holmer Green)

Regards

Sonia