Advice for a friend, NVR academic evidence

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherworriedmum

Advice for a friend, NVR academic evidence

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi
I have a friend who will be going through an appeal in Kent. Good Maths and verbal scores and not so good VR scores. We have read this http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I wonder if anyone has any advice about evidence that might give support to the view that he should have passed NVR. The school does not do CATs and an EP is not in their budget. Do we just have to rely on good overall scores in SATs, reading age and impressive letter from the head; or is there anything else that might impress to support NVR?
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Advice for a friend, NVR academic evidence

Post by Etienne »

If there is concern about one particular aspect of the 11+ results such as NVR, it might be possible to limit the cost of an EP report considerably by asking if just this one area could be tested (using the British Ability Scales NVR tests, for example). It may not be easy to find an EP willing to do this, however, as most will probably want to give the full battery of tests!

Failing that, I'm afraid your friend will have to rely on whatever evidence is available.
The more outstanding that evidence is, the better!

If the school is full after the allocations, or might become oversubscribed as a result of appeals, don't overlook the need to give good reasons for wanting a place at the particular school being appealed for:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
anotherworriedmum

Re: Advice for a friend, NVR academic evidence

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi Thanks Etienne, I will suggest that she gives an EP a try, I suppose someone might be willing to do it between now and March as there is a lot of time. She has good literacy and maths evidence although he passed VR and Maths with flying colours: typical!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now