KEFW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ackbar

KEFW

Post by Ackbar »

I have found the advice on this forum very useful over recent months, so thank you to all regular posters.

DD has achieved a good mark in her 11+ and should, fingers crossed, be able to attend a KE grammar of her choice. From the open evenings her preference is KEFW and I too was impressed with what I saw. I am a little concerned that it is still male-dominated and would love to hear from parents of girls there. Would you recommend it and is your daughter happy?
KenR

Re: KEFW

Post by KenR »

It's true that it's about 1/3 girls and 2/3 boys, but that due more to the fact that both KECHG and KEHGS offer far more places than KECHB and KEA respectively.

There will always be more boys than girls for that reason but the ratio does seem to be moving towards parity.

I don't have a daughter at the KEFW but we do have parents friends who do - I haven't heard of any particular issues. In fact when they get to GCSEs and A Levels it seems to have a positive effect on all pupils - far more balanced and mature young people than you seem to get in single sex schools.

My duaghter went to KEHS (Edgbaston) but in hindsight we would have been very happy for her to attend KEFW - we would also have saved a lot of money to boot!

We went along to an open eveing presentation on Oxbridge and Univ entrance a few months ago - they got a fantastic response from recent ex KEFW pupils who willingly came back to the school to give presentation and participate in open discussions. Very impressive group of young people, with a large proprotion of girls, who were clearly very happy with their time at KEFW.

You also now have a the first female head at KEFW.

I am aware of 1 girl who managed to get into KEHGS (via last minute PAF switch) but wasn't happy at the school - she sat an exam to switch to KEFW at the end of year-7 and was successful and is now really happy.
MSD

Post by MSD »

KenR,

Do you have any statistics on the final destination of A level students at KEFW?

MSD
KenR

Post by KenR »

I did have some stats on destinations from speech day but I seem to have mislaid this :?

I only know from the school web site that there were 11 Oxbridge applications were successful this last year (out of 176 students) and that I recall that a high proportion of students went to Russell Group universities
Ackbar

Post by Ackbar »

Thank you KenR for all the helpful info. We seem to be hearing plenty of positives about FW and dd is convinced it's where she wants to be, so it looks like that will be top of our list. Roll on March when the wait is over for us all!
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

Hi Ackbar

Why not CHGs?
What made you decide on KEFWs?
Is distance from home a factor or just purely the rep of the school?

Would be interested to know! :)
echoes

Post by echoes »

KenR wrote:It's true that it's about 1/3 girls and 2/3 boys, but that due more to the fact that both KECHG and KEHGS offer far more places than KECHB and KEA respectively.

There will always be more boys than girls for that reason but the ratio does seem to be moving towards parity.

I don't have a daughter at the KEFW but we do have parents friends who do - I haven't heard of any particular issues. In fact when they get to GCSEs and A Levels it seems to have a positive effect on all pupils - far more balanced and mature young people than you seem to get in single gender schools.

My duaghter went to KEHS (Edgbaston) but in hindsight we would have been very happy for her to attend KEFW - we would also have saved a lot of money to boot!

We went along to an open eveing presentation on Oxbridge and Univ entrance a few months ago - they got a fantastic response from recent ex KEFW pupils who willingly came back to the school to give presentation and participate in open discussions. Very impressive group of young people, with a large proprotion of girls, who were clearly very happy with their time at KEFW.

You also now have a the first female head at KEFW.

I am aware of 1 girl who managed to get into KEHGS (via last minute PAF switch) but wasn't happy at the school - she sat an exam to switch to KEFW at the end of year-7 and was successful and is now really happy.
Any idea why this girl wasn't happy at KEHGS?

Is KEFW a preferred choice for most parents here compared to KEHGS? I am still confused..

oh and what is "last minute PAF switch"?
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

My niece is at kefw....just got loads of a* at Gsce. She has never mentioned that being in a mixed school was a problem and it defo hasnt affected her performance....and she came from an all girls school.
Ackbar

Post by Ackbar »

Thank you again for your input. In answer to Moneypenny, KEFW is SO convenient for us to get to. DD preferred KEFW, although we were v impressed with CH and would be very happy for her to go there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now