Cheltenham to Crypt dilemma!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tiswas

Cheltenham to Crypt dilemma!

Post by Tiswas »

Any words of wisdom or reassurance would be gratefully received! :
My DS didn't reach the STR mark but did get a pass mark for Crypt. We are in a real dilemma now as he has said he would like to go to Crypt, but I'm really anxious about committing him to such a long journey every day for the next 5 years! It's another 5 miles further on than Tommies. We are in catchment for Cleeve and I just can't balance whether it really is worth the travelling to Podsmead every day for a Grammar School when he could be just 10 minutes up the road at a good comp. Does anyone have a son doing this journey from Cheltenham on Bob's Bus and if so how do they find it? Are they totally exhausted or is it just part of their day now?
Any experiences, positive or negative would really help us to make this decision.

Thanks.
Crypthopeful

Re: Cheltenham to Crypt dilemma!

Post by Crypthopeful »

Hi there,
My son has a considerably longer journey to The Crypt than from Cheltenham. While I can't offer you any logistical advise, I can say that the long journey really does become part of the day. Giving my son the responsibility to manage his bus fares and bus timetables, whilst lugging a heavy bag around, certainly hasn't done him any harm! Infact I think it has boosted his confidence and self esteem as up until he started at Crypt, he hadn't really had to do much for himself! (my fault!). My advice would be to not let the journey put you off sending your son to such a fantastic school, because in our view it is worth every mile! Good look in making the decision that best suits you all.
Tiswas

Post by Tiswas »

Thank you for your reply, Crypthopeful, it has helped to put things into a bit more perspective. I, like you, am probably a little guilty of doing too much for DS so maybe it will be good for his independence as well as his education! :D
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

The further DC is from home the more organsied they become. They cannot ring mummy to drop off their homework/forgotten PE kit etc. It'll make men of them :lol:
PS. Mine at school within short car journey but I refuse to 'pop over' with forgotten items :lol: They very rarely forget anything now
Ellen-Jane

Post by Ellen-Jane »

If it's any help, from my side of Cheltenham, the Crypt boys leave home 5 minutes before the STRS boys and get home 10 minutes later. After school clubs are trickier, though.

But, equally, my DS has passed for STRS, we are not in catchment for Cleeve, but Cleeve will still be higher on my DS's CAF.
mcs

Post by mcs »

Hi,
We are in a similar, though slightly more complicated situation, in that we live in Tewkesbury and already have one DS in Tommies. If we accept Crypt for DS2, the whole trip in becomes far too long and unpleasant. We don't use the bus service because the boys like their after school clubs, which we think are important too. Tewkesbury is a fantastic school and DS2 will know other children there. Plus, after school clubs will be less of a problem. After weighing up the pros and cons we've decided that the extra journey time etc is not worth it. He's a bright lad and if he hasn't got a place at Tommies, then he will do very well at Tewkesbury. Not an easy decision, but hopefully (everything crossed) it's all academic. If your DS is happy to go on the school bus, which I understand is a good way of meeting and making new friends, and you don't have anther DC to think about, I'd suggest that it is probably worth the extra few minutes.
Good luck in your ruminations.