Watford Girls or St Clement Danes

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cricket

Watford Girls or St Clement Danes

Post by Cricket »

Hi running out of time to decide. Bright child and both are reasonable distance. Any thoughts? Thanks
strictlyfriends

Re: Watford girls or St clement Danes

Post by strictlyfriends »

Watford Girls every time
Sallyltb

Re: Watford girls or St clement Danes

Post by Sallyltb »

If she doesn't mind being pushed and pressured, then Watford Girls. SCD is also very good for bright kids and is of course co-ed.

The only adverse comment I have arid about SCD (from more than one parent) is that they can be a bit petty about rules, particularly uniform and hand out detentions a little easily.
Cricket

Re: Watford Girls or St Clement Danes

Post by Cricket »

Thanks for input to date. My child has academic mark to get into either based on historical figures and both accessible. I know SCD has current great OFSTED but input from parents of kids there that I know has been very wide ranging. I hear positives and negatives about both schools so makes decision so difficult. Any further input from parents at SCD or Watford or of those who have looked at both for their kids would be appreciated.

Days ticking by and still no idea which to put first?????? :? :!:
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Hiya

I have DD in year 9 at WGGS and highly recommend it. DD is averagely academic I would say by WGGS standards but a hard worker and big on joining in stuff. She does not feel pressured and handles the homework easily although it does take a fair bit of time. She entered the school on music exam and the music side of the school is superb with many many orchestras, bands, ensembles and choirs for all abilities.

Mrs Hyde is a very different character to the girls on the inside and is fiercely defensive of the school. She actively challenges prospective parents at the open evenings to make sure no girl joins without a clear message of what to expect if she joins. She can seem a bit scary and daunting but don't be put off.

There have been girls that did not like the school and have left (not for academic reasons or bullying as much as I can tell) but the vast majority seem to have a a ball and all the other girls we have met through DD have been delightful, mature and dedicated.

We had SCD as our 3rd choice and would have been happy to accept a place there. We have friends whose 3 daughters have attended the school and I believe that for the Arts, and especially dancing SCD is one of the best possible choices in the area.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Do you have a different sex sibling? If yes you may want to consider SCD incase xsibling rule is abolished again.
Cricket

Post by Cricket »

I have son who would qualify for cross siblings next year so should not change for 2014 I assume as they must have to give longer notice of any change surely. Not sure if that means guarantee of place at WGSB for 2014 if x-sibling? Any ideas on that front?
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Following this with interest as I have a daughter who would qualify for a cross-sibling place in 2015 if the rule stays. I vaguely remember the furore when it was first removed but wasn't paying too much attention as my children were nowhere near secondary age, but I remember people being unhappy about the lack of notice that was given. I know children in both SCD and WGGS and they ( and their parents) seem v.happy.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Have looked back through the thread from 2008 (titled Watford Grammar objection) and it seems there was v.little notice when the cross-sibling rule was dropped in 2008. Admissions arrangements confirmed in the Sept, applications in the Oct, test in the Nov. Having said that, my personal opinion is that they will probably keep the cross sibling and children of staff rules until at least Sept 2014.
bcd

Post by bcd »

I have a DD in year 10 at Watford Girls and another DD at a different partially selective school in Watford (not SCD). Overall I have been happy with WGSG my DD is doing very well. However like all schools it is not perfect. Communication between parents and the school is not always great. Sport (contrary to what we were told when we initially applied) is not taken as seriously as I had hoped. I also find them to be quite lax with regards uniform standards, earrings, piercings etc. I am sure that your DD will do equally well whatever school she and you choose. I believe that a school can only do so much in facilitating a child to achieve - most research suggests that parental support plays the largest role in a child's achievement.

Both schools are excellent - I understand from friends with children at SCD that they are keen on sporting achievement and if that is important to you then that may be a better option. It also depends what your view is of mixed sex vs single sex schools. Either way you have a choice of 2 great schools.