simon langton boys 9 mile radius?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
susanass

simon langton boys 9 mile radius?

Post by susanass »

Hi, am new to this forum so hi to everyone. I just wondered if anyone has any experience from previous years applying to Simon Langton boys? Do you stand any chance of securing a place if you live as far as the 9 miles or does it get heavily oversubscribed? I live around the 9 mile mark, so am getting worried my son won't stand a chance. Also, does the passmark matter for the oversubsription as long as you have acheived over the 385 mark, or do you stand a higher chance of getting in the higher the mark over 385. Thanks for any answers in advance.
womanofkent

Re: simon langton boys 9 mile radius?

Post by womanofkent »

Welcome
A friend of mine and I have had lots of discussions both with the head and the admissions officer at SL so hopefully I can help a bit.

This is the first year that SL have brought in the new criteria so it is still a bit of an unknown. According to what we have been told the pass mark as long as it is over 385 bears no help: ie if your DS scored 423 and you live 9 miles away but another boy scored 386 and lives one mile away the other boy gets preference. So it will go on distance for those scoring over 385 up to the 9 miles. What we then understand from the head is that they will look at those with lower scores within the 9 miles rather than those with higher scores over 9 miles.

Out of interest the consultation paper on the proposal and the reasons for it are easily available to read on their website.

Hope this helps?
susanass

Post by susanass »

Thankyou for your in depth answer, would be great to know how many have passed with the higher score of 385 and above to give us an idea if we do stand a chance if any, thankyou x
raymae

Post by raymae »

We have the same worry with TWGSB .... (They don't require minimum score) But we live a good 10 miles away ... And it would be handy to know how many in our area are likely to be opting for that grammar (Those that did'nt make the scores needed for Judd, skinners or dartford) As yet, i have not come across any information of this kind :( . I was told that it came out on the news that my area had the most passes :| Just hoping most of them are aiming for the super selectives. My son has the minimum needed for mgs and SL ... But mgs (although will probably being going somewhere on our scaf form) will be tricky for travel, and SL is way to far away :( . If you come across any such information that gives a rough idea of scores in different areas, please let me know :D
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

susanass wrote:Thankyou for your in depth answer, would be great to know how many have passed with the higher score of 385 and above to give us an idea if we do stand a chance if any, thankyou x
Raymae, I have noticed on a few threads you mention applying to MGS. Unless you live in one of the named parishes it is unlikely your DS will be accepted. I think you need to check the over-subscription criteria. I would hate you to waste a place on your CAF form.
raymae

Post by raymae »

Yes, I am in one of there named parishes ... But there is still about 6 or 7 parishes closer then mine x
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

raymae wrote:Yes, I am in one of there named parishes ... But there is still about 6 or 7 parishes closer then mine x
If you are in one of the named parishes for MGS, and your DS scored 390 plus, which I understand to be the case, you should not have any problem with MGS, and distace should not come into the equation. In previous years all 390+ers in the named parishes have obtained a place, accounting for about 60/70% of the intake, and it has then gone to distance for the under 390ers, going out to about 5miles.

But, are you sure you are in one of the named parishes for MGS. I understood from earlier posts you are in Seal, which does seem a long way out.
raymae

Post by raymae »

Sorry ... I thought you were referring to TWGSB. Didnt read the post properly. No, im not in one of the parishes for mgs. I like the school but due to transport issues it will be low on my scaf. I am hoping for TWGSB. I am on there parish list x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now