Pate pupil premium and looked after children query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Vio125

Pate pupil premium and looked after children query

Post by Vio125 »

Hi - I just wanted to check my understanding of the position regarding places for Pates. If you have a confirmed place within the top 120, then I understand that this is no guarantee of a place come March 2013. This is because if there are SEN children, looked after children and/or children with pupil premium, who have been ranked in places 121 to 180, these will take priority at the top of the list on allocation day. As posted earlier, the number of these children is likely to be low and some other children in top 120 may not take their places - so likely impact is negligible, but still a real possibility? or have I misunderstood completely? The reason for asking is that some people have advised we just need to include Pates on the CAF, but surely because of the above we need to include the other grammars? Thanks in advance for clarification.
stroudydad

Re: Pate pupil premium and looked after children query

Post by stroudydad »

Personnaly I don't think it's ever wise to put just one school on your form just in case.. With regard to the rankings, my(uneducated) interpretation is exactly the same as yours
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

Thanks - thought as much. Pates letter slightly misleading then, because it makes reference to your child being allocated a place if you put it as first choice on the CAF. I will be completing all preferences!!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Marling had a similar quote, As Capers pointed out, it perhaps is a bit misleading but not necessarily untrue depending on how you interpret it.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I always suggest using all your choices on the CAF, irrespective of being sure that you have a place at any one school. Filling in choices 2, 3 & 4 isn't going to weaken your claim to being in -say - the top 120 for Pate's but better safe than sorry.

For instance, if there were 60 children with 'Looked After' children, statemented or pupil premium ranked 121 to 180 for Pate's, they would all be offered a place before they allocated any other places, so current rank 61 could end up without a place! The same could apply for any of the grammars (but not pupil premium). It is highly, highly unlikely, though - but for the sake of sanity, use all your choices.

The consequences if it all goes wrong and you haven't put alternative choices is that you'd be offered the school that has places left after all the other parents choices (grammar & secondary) have been allocated.

I've heard appeals where children have been allocated a place halfway across the county, with transport by taxi or parents petrol money paid - it does happen! Whilst people may be happy to ship their children miles to a good school, would you want to do same for a somewhat less-good school?
Capers
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

capers123 wrote:I always suggest using all your choices on the CAF, irrespective of being sure that you have a place at any one school. Filling in choices 2, 3 & 4 isn't going to weaken your claim to being in -say - the top 120 for Pate's but better safe than sorry.

For instance, if there were 60 children with 'Looked After' children, statemented or pupil premium ranked 121 to 180 for Pate's, they would all be offered a place before they allocated any other places, so current rank 61 could end up without a place! The same could apply for any of the grammars (but not pupil premium). It is highly, highly unlikely, though - but for the sake of sanity, use all your choices.

The consequences if it all goes wrong and you haven't put alternative choices is that you'd be offered the school that has places left after all the other parents choices (grammar & secondary) have been allocated.

I've heard appeals where children have been allocated a place halfway across the county, with transport by taxi or parents petrol money paid - it does happen! Whilst people may be happy to ship their children miles to a good school, would you want to do same for a somewhat less-good school?
So there is no qualifying marks for pupils in this premium category?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

All the children in the top 180 are deemed qualified. Children will then be admitted according to the over subscription criteria. http://www.pates.gloucs.sch.uk/index.php/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A pupil must achieve a score that places him/her in the first 180 of those taking
the Test to be eligible to be considered for admission. The score is calculated by
adding together the standardised marks from the two verbal reasoning papers.
The rank order of these 180 ‘qualifying’ children is used, along with other criteria
listed below, to allocate available spaces in the following order:
• any ‘looked-after’ children in the list of 180 qualifying children;
• any of the 180 who, at Registration, qualify for the Pupil Premium; and then
• Test rank order, until all Year 7 spaces are allocated.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

mitasol wrote:All the children in the top 180 are deemed qualified. Children will then be admitted according to the over subscription criteria. http://www.pates.gloucs.sch.uk/index.php/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A pupil must achieve a score that places him/her in the first 180 of those taking
the Test to be eligible to be considered for admission. The score is calculated by
adding together the standardised marks from the two verbal reasoning papers.
The rank order of these 180 ‘qualifying’ children is used, along with other criteria
listed below, to allocate available spaces in the following order:
• any ‘looked-after’ children in the list of 180 qualifying children;
• any of the 180 who, at Registration, qualify for the Pupil Premium; and then
• Test rank order, until all Year 7 spaces are allocated.
So Pupils in this Premium category will be in Top 180. Not outside Top 180.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

That is how I read the admissions. If you have any doubts then you should check with the school.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

mitasol wrote:That is how I read the admissions. If you have any doubts then you should check with the school.
Thanks Mitasol. Appreciate the feedback!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now