Decision Time

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tixylixy

Decision Time

Post by Tixylixy »

My DH, DS and I have now visited BGS, Beth's and C&S and were impressed with them all but my particular favourite was BGS. However, it's my son's third choice and of course this week the CAF needs to be completed.

Would it be deceitful to put down my preferences in the order which I see fit or concede to my DS's wishes. Are other parents facing a similar dilemma and if so what decision have you reached?

Thanks
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Decision Time

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I think you need to discuss it with your DS further and find out why he prefers one more than the other. Is it because he has friends going there, better facilities, better clubs, easier to get to? etc. IMHO it would be deceitful to go behind his back. I think you should respect his choice as he is the one who will actually be studying there!
lefol

Post by lefol »

I agree it would be deceitful to change his order of preference . He has done well enough to put you in the position to choose between three great schools. If you live out of the borough, and he is not a top 180 scorer, you may not be allocated BGS. Therefore, respect his wishes and list the schools in his order of preference.
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

Remember, it is your DS who will spend the next 5-7 years of his life at the school, not you.

It is his choice, respect it!

It is an important decision and if you have taken him to all 3 schools then he has enough information to make his own decision.
onlyson

Post by onlyson »

We had the same sort of dilemma last year,son and DH loved Beths and I loved Dartford. In the end we went with his choice,Beths and he couldn't be happier. He loves going into school,has thrown himself into school life and generally feels school has lived up to his expectations. I can't help thinking it might have a slightly different story had he ended up going to Dartford. I definitely think that your DS has done the hard work to prove himself selective so let him choose his school and you'll have a very happy little boy come 1st March next year....they're all good schools :D ..GOOD LUCK
Tixylixy

Post by Tixylixy »

Hi all parents and thank you so much for your helpful advice and responses.
This is one of the many things I love about this website, there are so many thoughtful and benevolent people who are always willing to give useful and constructive advice.

Regards to all.
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

Good luck!

We are extremely lucky in that me, DW and DS all agree on first choice school.

However, choosing 2nd, 3rd and 4th is a little more tricky, especially as I am an Old Boy of one of them :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now