Woodford County

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dizzycool

Woodford County

Post by Dizzycool »

First I must say this website has been awesome throughout preparation up to the waiting game and now the results.

I thought I should set up a thread for Woodford because the Essex thread does not seem to cover this topic
We got our letter today, my daughter was in the borderline score for Woodford. Disappointing that she is outside the cut off by a few points but I cannot fault her for the hardwork she put in. Her total score was 223 and the borderline scores are btw 221 & 227, so it means she's on the waiting list alongside another 50. Tough one but I still put my hat off to her and will continue to encourage her to work really hard wherever she goes - which will be our local comprehensive.

Wouldn't give up completely yet but I recognise our chances of getting in is pretty tight but there's hope.

Good luck to everybody else and let us know how your child got on.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Don't give up hope yet Dizzycool and well done to your daughter for getting such a good mark. You never know people do move up the list!
totally distraught!!

Post by totally distraught!! »

Well Done Dizzycool to you and your daughter!! My daughter also sat for Woodford, but did not get in. Her total score was 203, which puts her in the comprehensive league. Like you, i am extremely proud of my daughter. She worked really hard and with complete commitment, (which makes it all the more worse!) Ive told her that she will do well, wherever she goes (local comp), because she wants to excel. Do you know if there is any appeal/review system, even if you are not in borderzone? My daughter cannot believe her marks, and thinks that someone has made a mistake. Can i get them to re-check? I know im only clutching at straws, but the people who mark the papers are only human!? and can make mistakes. Good luck for the future, im sure you daughter stands a good chance of getting in.
totally distraught!!

Post by totally distraught!! »

Well Done Dizzycool to you and your daughter!! My daughter also sat for Woodford, but did not get in. Her total score was 203, which puts her in the comprehensive league. Like you, i am extremely proud of my daughter. She worked really hard and with complete commitment, (which makes it all the more worse!) Ive told her that she will do well, wherever she goes (local comp), because she wants to excel. Do you know if there is any appeal/review system, even if you are not in borderzone? My daughter cannot believe her marks, and thinks that someone has made a mistake. Can i get them to re-check? I know im only clutching at straws, but the people who mark the papers are only human!? and can make mistakes. Good luck for the future, im sure you daughter stands a good chance of getting in.
Dizzycool

Post by Dizzycool »

Totally distraught - I think there is an appeal system, but I would first speak to the number provided on the letter from Redbridge for clarification. They should take you through the process. I must warn you that it is quite hot at the moment (the phone line that is) as everyone's trying to find out some information or another.

You know what, today I feel much more upbeat because I have spoken to quite a few other people who were in the position I am now last year, and this has got me thinking hard. As it stands it appears that within those that have passed within the grammer zone, there may be some who may decide to take up places in Chelmsford, KEGS, or perhaps prefer independent/private and have paid deposits to hold a place etc. There may be even some that have ranked Woodford as their second choice secondary in which case they will be offered their 1st choice irrespective of their pass mark. So there is still much hope. The head I understand will have to write a report on the child too, so it not over just yet.
HM

Sad failure

Post by HM »

Sadly my son did not get a place at any of the Grammar schools he applied.....so sad to see him so upset after all the effort that was put on at the end last year.......I suppose we can just hope that he was border line and someone does take their places at Grammar.....we call all but pray..........well done to all those that have got their places......
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

My son is also on the Border Zone / Waiting list for IIford County High School. However, he got a place at another Grammar School in Essex. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the moment.
I'm happy that he's gotten a place into another Grammar School. I just need to sort out transportation.
Jezebel

There is hope!

Post by Jezebel »

I teach in a school on the Essex/Redbridge border and in my experience a fair few pupils in the borderzone will be offered a place. Remember that quite a few parents get their children to sit both 11+ and Public School Entrance Exams, and some of those who are offered places at Woodford will also be offered places and scholarships at the local Public schools, which many take up, hence freeing up places at the grammar schools.

Last year I had one pupil in the borderzone who was offered a place in AUGUST - so don't give up!
me100

woodford count

Post by me100 »

i did the 11+ in 2003 and i am now in year 9. sadly i didnt get in to woodford and i was put on the borderzone. i just found out i am #1 on the list! from being #30 and appealing to finaly get to #17 i am ecstatic! :D :) :lol: :oops: :D
Marie

Woodford County

Post by Marie »

Blessed wrote:

My son is also on the Border Zone / Waiting list for IIford County High School. However, he got a place at another Grammar School in Essex. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the moment.
I'm happy that he's gotten a place into another Grammar School. I just need to sort out transportation

Blessed - Are you able to share how you know about a place at the Essex Grammar School? I may have lost the plot - but I thought we all had to wait for national offer day. In anye vent - wishing the best for your child.

Marie