Spelt or Spelled

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

The HeadMaster

Post by Guest »

also an access course and 4year ba (ed) option for primary.

I did a PGCE but would have welocomed n=more time to learn how to teach, we had to learn all teh other subjects as well in our year course.

Whatever you decide I think teh visit to a primary school is a really good idea. Behind teh scenes is a revelation
English and learning to spell was not part of the course?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

English and learning to spell was not part of the course?

I doubt that speed typing forms part of the PGCE course. Somehow I feel that yoyo is aware that "the" is not spelled "teh", or for that matter "welcomed" spelled "welocomed", which you did not highlight.

Rule 1 on this Forum (see Forum Rules) is Be Polite. Please endeavour to do so.

Sally-Anne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorry I am the world's worst typist!

I'm OK with pen and paper though....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

also, was politeness not part of your upbringing "guest"

and btw you missed one teh!

Post by Guest »

I doubt that speed typing forms part of the PGCE course. Somehow I feel that yoyo is aware that "the" is not spelled "teh", or for that matter "welcomed" spelled "welocomed", which you did not highlight.

Me thinks you meant to the word SPELT and not SPELLED, if you are goining to hit back, please use the correct english !!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Both versions are correct. Spelled is the regular form of the verb, spelt is the irregular form. Another example of the same variation is "burnt" and "burned".

Sally-Anne
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Dear Guest

I work as a copyeditor, and I can tell you that most major publishers now accept the US 'spelled' as an alternative to the British past participle 'spelt' - just as they would accept -ize as an alternative to -ise. Increasingly information is accessed internationally and producing two editions (US and British) is not always cost-effective.

Are you from Tunbridge Wells by any chance?

Geoffrey

Post by Guest »

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Guest

I work as a copyeditor, and I can tell you that most major publishers now accept the US 'spelled' as an alternative to the British past participle 'spelt' - just as they would accept -ize as an alternative to -ise. Increasingly information is accessed internationally and producing two editions (US and British) is not always cost-effective.

Are you from Tunbridge Wells by any chance?

So, as we are gonna go Americana, is gotten part of the english language as well?, and also ain't
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You are making the assumption that "spelled" is a corruption of the original English. That is not the case.

As with so many of the arcane rules of English spelling and pronunciation, the original grammatical declension of the word would have been "spelled" but at some stage in the history of the English language the corruption to "spelt" took place. Only a few words suffered this indignity - other verbs remained untouched. There is no phonetic or linguistic reason why it happened - it was probably of poetic derivation. Thus "learn" became predominantly "learnt", whilst "yearn" remained "yearned".

The corruption is a British invention and has nothing to do with "Americanisation".

If you wish to continue this somewhat pointless debate, may I suggest that as a courtesy to MelX you start a new thread as you have taken this one off topic? (Forum Rules, Rule No. 2.)

Sally-Anne
Malcom_C

Post by Malcom_C »

There is a good point rasied in the mischief - which spelling would a child at school have to lean and use? I know only of one, spelt, since that's the one I was taught.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now