Matrices-help!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

paula

Matrices-help!

Post by paula »

DD working hard on NVR. Not her favourite by any means. She is finding matrices questions particularly difficult.
We are working through NVR workbook2 by Stephen Curran at the moment but wondered if anyone has any ideas of further sources of help.
Also does anyone know if these types of queston are likely to come up in the NVR test for Kendrick school in Reading?

Post by Guest »

I hope someone can answer this. My dd has alot of trouble with these too and I can't 'see' them either to help her!
jah

Post by jah »

I would expect questions on matrices to be Maths rather than NVR, unless you are meaning something else by that term. Site below suggests that matrices are a GCSE topic, not 11+.

http://revisioncentre.co.uk/gcse/maths/matrices.html
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Paula

My son is studying these too and he struggles with matrices and neither my husband or I can see them. I wonder if this is one of the things stephen C urran puts into his course to expand the kids knowledge without actually needing to know it for the 11+. He has said this on his parent's open evening he aims for level 6 hoping to achieve a level 5 whereas schools aim for a 5 hoping to get a 4. Does anyone else know ?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I assume by matrices you mean the three by three squares with one missing and you have to choose from the answers which one fits best, if that makes sense, I tried to cut and paste an example but failed. :(

In my opinion yes you could expect these to come up on an NFER type paper, I am pretty sure they are in the pack of four NFER that you can buy.

These are about as hard as it got for us last year, I think the solution is not to try and "see" the answer but break the problem down into its different levels. There is an element of brain training, try a few examples, leave for a few days, repeat the same examples followed by a few new ones. You may be surprised that it clicks. There are some threads from last year on NVR is bad for your health. :D

stevew61
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now