Journey from Shenfield to SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jojo1

Journey from Shenfield to SHSB

Post by jojo1 »

Went to SHSB today, which I didn't even consider until recently, and was very impressed with the school and the headmaster. I live in Brentwood and my ds can get a train from Shenfield to Prittlewell which is 30 minutes and then I've been told it's a 20 minute walk. Does any have a son who commutes from Shenfield and if so how do they find the journey?
Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by jojo1 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hadenoughnow

Re: SHSB

Post by hadenoughnow »

Hi

My son started at SHSB in September and we are delighted with the school. He travels from Billericay station every day and the journey is absolutely fine. There are lots of children travelling to both the boys and the girls schools as well as other schools in Southend. There are plenty of children who travel in from further afield and change at Shenfield. My son certainly enjoys the social aspect of the journey.

If he walked to the local comp he would probably only save 15-20 mins each way and we feel the benefits of the school far outweigh the slightly longer day.

It may be worth you doing the journey yourself on a school day at the time your son would travel and see for yourself if it would be right for him.

Hope this helps :D
jojo1

Re: SHSB

Post by jojo1 »

Thanks hadenoughnow, it's good to hear how well your ds is getting on at SHSB. I totally agree with regards to some 'local' schools not being that much difference in travelling time.
pleased as punch

Re: Journey from Shenfield to SHSB

Post by pleased as punch »

My ds is also at SHSB and adores it. So far we have been extremely impressed. Have you also looked at the SBC Coaches website as they run a coach to WHSB from your area. It might be worth asking if they would consider doing the extra 1mile further to SHSB. It's even on the same road and they may need to go that far to turn around for the journey back to their base. You never know, it must be worth asking.
ToadMum

Re: Journey from Shenfield to SHSB

Post by ToadMum »

From the CSSE website:

http://www.csse.org.uk/transport/FirstBus/502%20TT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are local to SHSB so DS1 uses public transport anyway, but personally, given the choice from Shenfield I would almost certainly send him on the train rather than the Consortium bus as it gives more flexibility, particularly with respect to before- and after-school activities (or "staggered start" / early finish days or just plain old oversleeping :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx