THE TUTORS - VOCABULARY BUILDER - VOLUME 1

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stevew61

THE TUTORS - VOCABULARY BUILDER - VOLUME 1

Post by stevew61 »

Just saw this must say brilliant idea ( can I claim a free copy :) )

Building vocab. is either wordlists ( boring ) or lots of reading ( time consuming ), this builds vocab. in a fun way and also works on VR question types.

From my experiences of elevenplus last year this would have been a big help. The two words that I most recall tripping over were "satchel" and "brook".

stevew61
Sally-Anne

Re: THE TUTORS - VOCABULARY BUILDER - VOLUME 1

Post by Sally-Anne »

stevew61 wrote: From my experiences of elevenplus last year this would have been a big help. The two words that I most recall tripping over were "satchel" and "brook".
Goodness Steve - I hadn't realised that you sat the 11+ last year. :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Stevew61

You can have a look at the free demo for the new Vocab Builder CD there are three questions for each of the nine types of questions.

The CD was written because of the demand that has been made on the site for Vocabulary Building material over the last few years.

There are over 10,000 unique words in the question sets, I think satchel and brook are both likely to be in there.

Regards

Mike
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mike

I took a look at the CD Demo earlier. May I ask a question?

If a Bucks parent were to buy this CD/Download, would it do anything that they would not get from the Tutors CDs/downloads?

I recognised the question types as being typical of Bucks NFER, so which areas and tests would you recommend these CDs for specifically?

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Just wanted to say

THANKYOU

This will be so useful, and definitely take the 'Boring' out, and put the 'Fun' into vocab building.

:D :D :D

BW
patricia

Post by patricia »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Mike

I recognised the question types as being typical of Bucks NFER, so which areas and tests would you recommend these CDs for specifically?

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Dear Sally-Anne

Just to make it clear the types are not all typical of Bucks NFER M/C VR

The biggest problem with the Bucks test is seeing vocab out of context. Children can rote learn codes and the 4 maths operations....vocab is another kettle of fish....

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Sally-Anne

We deliberately tried to make the question sets different to the NFER standard that can be found in our VR CDs.

Although the vocabulary contained within the two VR CDs is comprehensive we were specifically asked to write a Vocabulary Building CD with a suggested word total of between 8-10,000 unique words.

We had to use a little imagination to construct question types that were significantly different to the VR question sets, but close enough for them to be identified as being useful for VR.

The Vocabulary Builder can be used for students who are sitting Verbal Reasoning entrance tests and for students sitting Independent School entrance tests where an extended vocabulary is required.

Thanks for the kind comments that have been posted.

Regards

Mike
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mike

Thank you for clarifying that - I agree with previous posters that they do look excellent.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Building vocabulary has been a big problem with my pupils.

Controverisally.. many of the boys are reluctant readers and just don't have the depth of vocab needed. I've used teh demo and think that the download will be a great deal of use!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Sally-Anne

I occassionally have to point out the following:

The question sets for all The Tutors CDs were written by myself and my partner Janet Peace. Without Janet and myself working together it would be difficult to maintain the high standard of the question sets. We work side-by-side and monitor each question as it is written for standardisation to NFER questions for VR and Maths or our own standards for the Vocabulary Builder based on knowledge of NFER vocabulary.

The software development, inputting and creation of all images, graphs, charts etc as well as all the feedback information has been created by elevenplusexams.co.uk. They are a good team of guys that we work closely with and we appreciate the efforts they put in to get the product working and published.

Our next project, which is in its development stages, is a Methods & Techniques guide for Verbal Reasoning based on a systematic approach to teaching that will be as simple and user friendly as we can get it. This should be available for next years intake.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now