missed 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
spacewoman

missed 11+

Post by spacewoman »

Hi there some real good advice needed please!!!

My daughter was going to boarding school but it all fell through, She is a grade A student, always has been. Because of this we missed the 11+ and also we live in East Sussex, Grammar schools only in Kent!

She has been allocated a crappy secondary school and I have huge worries....

I would like for her to gain a good education at Grammar school, as she has worked so hard for it, I dont want to let her down either. What can I do???? :shock: :? :?: :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have to look at the options :

Is day (not boarding) independent an option?

Some LEAs allow late 11 plus for kis who for one reason or other did not take it at the time eg moved to the area etc.

Move house??? Can be an answer sometimes - chat to the LEAs with grammar schools etc and see what their policies are on late 11 plus.

Home tutor and take the 12+ or 13 + somewhere.

Investigate state boarding schools .... http://www.sbsa.org.uk/
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Appeal for another LA school as a first step - there are some good schools in East Sussex - where do you live?
spacewoman

missed 11+

Post by spacewoman »

We live in Crowborough so secondary education is quite restricted.
Independant schooling is out of our finances. I have emailed Togs, Twggs and weald of kent to see if I can convince them!!! I am tring to get the 11+ details and where to take them but again I am having probs trying to get anything helpful!!!!

Thanks for your replies so far x

Post by Guest »

I don't think that it is much good emailing grammar schools at this stage. They are probably oversubscribed and already fielding calls from people with children on the waiting lists who have "selective assessments" (ie have passed the 11+). I very much doubt that they are even legally entitled to offer your child a year 7 place without such an assessment.

Your best bet for a grammar place in Kent would be to contact Kent LEA for advice on whether it is possible to have your daughter tested and assessed as suitable for a grammar. This would then let you go on the schools' waiting lists. Alternatively, they may be able to suggest a school with possible spaces and tell you how to appeal for a place there.

The other option is to take what you can get for a year and apply 12+. By then places may have come free and schools have more discretion as to how to allocate them than at 11+.

Cranbrook school (co-ed state grammar) starts at year 9, but you would either need to move into catchment at some point in the next 2 years or apply for a boarding place. I believe that Angley school in Cranbrook has spaces for year 7 this year. They run a "grammar stream" in years 7 and 8 for children planning to transfer to Cranbrook school at 13 - entry into this stream is through their own assessment. From what I hear the head teacher there is very helpful. Big commute from Crowborough though!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Spacewoman,

I suspect you are going to have to move - there must be a 'system' for coping with children who move to Kent.
spacewoman

late 11+

Post by spacewoman »

What takes the mick is the fact that kent is 7 miles away! no grammar in east sussex, you could literally walk to Tunbridge wells Girls Grammar in 2 hours!!!! :shock: Well truth is we only moved just over a year ago and have built up what we have to job wise to earn a crust!! and at this point we are in no position to move. I have this evening emailed kent county council and eagerly wait for their reply! Tonbridge girls Grammar did email back, kindly, and stated about the late 11 + and their waiting list.

I so appreciate all your input - Thankyou - just feel I am letting my girl down by not having pushed for this sooner!!

Big thanks x :wink:
ex Rotherfield Resident

Crowborough Scools

Post by ex Rotherfield Resident »

Hi,
We lived in Crowborough until 2 months ago and have just moved to Canterbury where the Grammar schools are in abundance. One of the main deciders for our big move was the schools. We are renting a house to the tune of £950 a month but I am prepared to pay that for the education. Immediately after leaving Rotherfield Primary I have noticed a huge difference in my daughters ability to learn.

I totally sympathise with you. You either have Ther Beacon or Uckfield community college or Uplands at Wadhurst. It's just so unfair with that area which is a lovely part of the world to live in, there is such a lack of good education when you are 6 miles from Kent (actualy isnt Eridge classed as Kent so probably nearer...)

Best of luck with whatever you do decide to do.
x

Post by Guest »

Take a look at the Uplands and Uckfield most recent OFSTED reports. Hardly poorly performing schools.

Post by Guest »

I know nothing of these schools, but I did not recognise my primary from its ofsted report. To be taken with a pinch of salt, I think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now