FTT and CAT scoring

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blauwzvart

FTT and CAT scoring

Post by blauwzvart »

We recently asked for the results of our son's year 7 CAT tests ( as a point of interest as he had never sat any before ). We were informed that the school didn't normally give that information out, but that they would come up with something for us. Three weeks and more phone requests later, we were given the following figures; The teacher explained that the school used the FTT formula and that son's score was 33, with a 5.9 in english and a 5.6 in maths. I've scoured the forum and I can't seem to find anything that puts these particular figures in context or explains what level he's working at.
Could anyone help interpret please?
Belinda

Re: FTT and CAT scoring

Post by Belinda »

Is it Fisher Family Trust (FFT) you actually want?
You could google it but you may wish you hadn't; It really doesn't have any meaning to those of us who are just parents.

Please don't get too hung up on all these Cats things. They have limited, if any, value to (just) parents. I'm sure your DS is doing well and if he's not then I'm sure the school will soon tell you. :wink:

The only beneficial thing (for us as a family) to come from any of mine doing CATS was (them) learning what sort of learner they were. Audio, visual etc. which later helped them pick specific revision techniques for exams.
Best wishes. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

FFT = Fischer Family Trust ....... they should be able to explain what these scores mean to you (if they have much meaning at all). Did he sit CATs? If so they should be able to give you the results of these too. If they don't you can make a formal request under the right legislation.

Thing is, none of these things are that good at "predicting" what an individual will get but some teachers do take them rather seriously. You can read a whole website about FFT but it doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Are they giving you the more bogstandard info e.g. what NC levels they consider he currently is and the kind of levels they are preparing him for at the end of this year (of course he might not get them but what are they aiming for in their teaching of the groups he is in).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They look like a KS2 test average point score to me!

Level 4b = 27, level 4a = 29, level 5c = 31 and level 5b =33

Tells you nothing ... how very unhelpful of them.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If he has sat CATs and you want the results you are well within your rights. Google school regulations pupil records and write a letter requesting the info within 15 school days if they will not give it to you without you having to stand on ceremony.
blauwzvart

Post by blauwzvart »

Thanks for replying everyone. We've looked at the Fischer trust site ( which appears to have been written by Sheldon from Big Bang ) and have decided that as we know that son was working at level 6 on leaving primary, we'll be content with that. We did consider the formal letter route, but thought it best not to start rattling cages too much as he's new there. It does make you wonder why some schools are so reluctant to share information which ultimately is only of interest to parents / carers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know. Some schools seem to keep the data very secret for no reason, and then if you ask for it by quoting the law consider that you are being a pain. Probably if you just gave all parents all the available data from the age of 4 they'd have stopped reading any of it by the age of 6.