St Paul Girls- Computer Tests help

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GuidingStar

St Paul Girls- Computer Tests help

Post by GuidingStar »

Hi,

My DD is very keen to try for St Paul Girls School. She is in a state primary but very bright. Seems to be quite ok with the SPGS / CLGS past papers. But we have no idea about the St Paul computer tests. If anyones DD sat this test in recent years, can you please share your experience and suggestions. What does the computer tests involve, what are the questions about, how long the test is, how many questions or sections and how is it timed and marked , what is the test room amtmosphere like etc. Is there anything closely relavent available anywhere to practice on? Is it too challanging? Anything else u might suggest...

Thanks in advance.
Ellie

Re: St Paul Girls- Computer Tests help

Post by Ellie »

My dd's took the computer test and it lasted for around an hour and a half, testing verbal/non verbal reasoning and numeracy. The exam is designed to test raw intelligence, is fairly straightforward (according to dd's) but gets harder as you progress through it. There appears to be very little in the way of sample papers and SPGS do not release results.

The girls sit the exam in classrooms in front of a computer and clear instructions are given beforehand.

I don't think you need worry and your dd will not be at a disadvantage as you sound like you are preparing her well for the 11+ exams.
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

Thanks Ellie for your kind response.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

DD is rather shy about taking about the tests. And it was almost an year ago.

Here is what we gathered after a bit of probing (especially by DW :) ). All errors are mine!

- Computer Test has questions on both Maths and English.
- Test is for 1 hour.
- All are multiple choice / multiple choice type of questions i.e. she didn't have to type any answer.
- It is MS Windows based system (so, if your DD has been using only Apple OS, you may want to give her some practise on Windows)
- She found Maths easy. And English paper to be slightly difficult.
- There are comprehension questions. One type involved a long passage and a choice of answers. you will have to drag and drop the answer phrases to appropriate places in the reading passage.
- There are no synonyms / antonyms type of questions. But, some questions involved answering meanings of certain words.
- All questions are timed (anecdotally, the time taken for completing the answers is also a parameter - we don't know for sure of course). She also said you can go back to review the already answered questions. Don't know how that works!
- In addition to being used for initial screening, computer test score also has some weightage in the final decision process (of course, no idea about the weightage)

Hope it is of some use. All the best to you and your DD!
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

Thanks ConcernedDad for your reply, thats very informative, really appreciate it.
Akiko

Post by Akiko »

CAT will be taken next week. My Dd has already taken a similar test at her school, although it was not computerised. Does she need to take it again? The letter is asking us to inform the school weather she has taken a similar test elsewhere. I wonder if they will make her sit, or just take the results from her school? Has anyone been in a similar situation?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now