Travelling to Bishop Vesey

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

morris1

Travelling to Bishop Vesey

Post by morris1 »

Hi

We are nearing the application deadline and arenno further forward. Our DS got 213 for Bham and 307 for Warwickshire. Realistically there is not a lot of choice available to us. Fortunately we have good schools in our area.

The nearest train station to us is Solihull/Shirley. Does anyone have a child that travels to Bishop Vesey? Any opions would be gratefully received. What opinions do people have of the school?

Also, would people think putting Aston down too far fetched? Or being 2 points away could we be in with a chance? Im lead to belive 2001/2 is a low birth year (only what i have heard).

Many thanks
muminbrum

Re: Travelling to Bishop Vesey

Post by muminbrum »

You have nothing to lose by putting down Aston and BV as your first two choices providing your third choice is a school you would normally get into. No-one knows what will happen to QS this year with new system. It might be a low birth rate year but 400 extra kids took the exam! All anyone can do is put the schools they want on the form and cross their fingers.

Others have posted that it is about 1.5 hours to BV from Solihull which is a lot of time - 15hrs per week. We are also looking at BV/Aston travelling from Edgbaston area and it is still an hour each way for us.

We really liked BV when we looked round and I would be happy to send him there. It has lovely facilities and we were impressed by the pupils. They have an open day on the 30th or 31st if you haven't seen it.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

You could try Aston as you never know. I know someone who is at 217 and is going to put it first. There are quite a few green buses from all over so transport may be ok for you if u get in.
There are shared lifts or similar from places slightly further away, eg dickens Heath to the sutton girls school that i know of, so worth asking on this forum about if there is something in place for the boys school. The school is also a source of transport....but may be of half term at the mo.... have heard good things re bv but only on this forum.....so ask away and you will find out more.
still hopeful?

Post by still hopeful? »

As of this year our DS travels to BV from Solihull. We know of at least two Solihull boys who take the Solihull/Moor St/New St/SuttonC route, however our DS has the luxury of being dropped off at Birmingham International (it's on route to work for me), from there to BV is 45 minutes (allowing 10 mins walk from Sutton Coldfield to the school). We aim for the 07.38 train - gives him plenty of time. I also have a quality 15 mins chat with DS each morning.

On the train DS .. text's friends (he's on giffgaff = free texts), revises his German/French, finishes homework due that day ( :oops: ) plus there are loads of kids travelling on train Sutton C to New Street so he normally chats to them.

AS is about the same time distance by Green Bus (as is CHB - we pass the Green bus & wave to DS's ex-primary friends every morning), so if you like AS as a school, sensible to put that in your list ahead of BV but not be daunted by either journey.

If you're interested, here's a cut'n paste of DS's travel timetable that allows for late getaways, missed trains, delays and lengthy changeovers (note that boys are due @ 08.40). Travel pass works out at ~£90 per term.

Home Birmingham International Birmingham New Street Sutton School
Leave Depart Plat Dest Op Arrive Plat Depart Plat Dest Arrive Arrive Duration
07.17 07.33 3 Wolverhampton Virgin 07.45 4 07.55 8A Sutton Coldfield 08.14 08.24 01:07
07.22 07.38 2 Manchester Cross Country 07.48 5B 07.55 8A Sutton Coldfield 08.14 08.24 01:02
07.22 07.38 2 Manchester Cross Country 07.48 5B 08.05 8A Sutton Coldfield 08.23 08.33 01:11
07.30 07.46 3 Birmingham New Street London Midland 08.03 3A 08.15 8A Sutton Coldfield 08.34 08.44 01:14
07.37 07.53 2 Birmingham New Street Virgin 08.08 6 08.15 8A Sutton Coldfield 08.34 08.44 01:07
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

One of our neighbours son has started BV this year from near Solihull town centre. Am sure he travels by bus.