Travel from Kings Norton to Sutton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Happy dad

Travel from Kings Norton to Sutton

Post by Happy dad »

A friend is concerned with regard to her daughter travelling from Kings Norton to Sutton for SGS. She would be calmer if she knew some other children did the same journey, or did a similar cross-city line journey. I am fairly sure this must happen but please can anyone confirm there are several girls who do this journey to put her mind at rest.

Many thanks.
HappyRobot

Re: Travel from Kings Norton to Sutton

Post by HappyRobot »

May not help as its half term, but does the school know?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Half term is definitely inconvenient. Been trying to confirm KEA has an open morning Tuesday - school office closed!!!

May ask her to phone the school Monday.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Happy dad wrote:Half term is definitely inconvenient. Been trying to confirm KEA has an open morning Tuesday - .
Happydad, KEA does have a brief open morning scheduled for Tuesday, 9.30. The office said it would be for an hour at the most.

As for SC, the Redditch - Litchfield line goes straight through so no need to change trains at New Street. I know the Selly Oak / Birmingham University line is on this route: I assume Kings Norton is too? Even if they don't get to know anyone using the route before she starts, they will find plenty of people are joining further down the line.

UmSusu
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

I have heard of quite a few boys and girls travelling from the stations on the Northfield line straight through to Sutton Coldfield. My friend's son used to travel from Bartley Green (he is now at Uni) and had no problems.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Thanks for responses - I will let her know which may give some reassurance.

May see some at KEA on. Tuesday.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Happy Dad,

Just a little message to confirm that indeed, to go from Kings Norton to SCGSG is easy as it is just direct by train. My DD, many moons ago (she is now at uni), made extremely quickly friends on the train. The girls used to get altogether and have a good time... and my DD never opened a book nor a notebook though this is what initially I was expecting of her so that she would make good use of her travelling time :wink: ... Anyway, I quickly realised I had a sweet dream. :lol: :lol:

But please, make your friend’s mind at rest concerning this travel! Train means no traffic jams so she’ll cross the city quickly and safely. There are a bit fewer trains during the ‘leaf season’ because the trains need more time & space to brake (so train every 20 mn instead of every ten mn if I am not mistaken), but this last just a few weeks, maybe starting now?

Once in Wylde Green station, there is a pathway near the train track and some flight of stairs which come onto Highbridge road (it is shorter going that way than through the station entrance). The girls cross there, being mindful of the cars (no traffic lights) and then they walk along goldleslie road.

SCGSG is a wonderful school and I wish your friend’s DD many happy years there!!
bobsure

Post by bobsure »

My DD will be travelling from either Kings Norton, Bournville or Selly Oak Station if she gets offered a place. I have heard that several children travel to Sutton using the Redditch to Lichfield line.
echoes

Post by echoes »

May be parents could arrange a shared car or a mini bus? Cost etc will depend on how many children and what area etc..

We are relocating so we will decide on the area once the admission is confirmed but we would prefer the safety of a licensed taxi/shared car over public transport for a really young girl.
Riti

Post by Riti »

I have just joined the Forum, after having discovered and used it for information over these last (stressful!) weeks....so many thanks to all participants! My DD will be going to SCGSG in September and will take the train from University Station to Wylde Green Station. I understand many girls take the same route, and in terms of safety and comfort of travel, I do favour train (especially such a reliable and frequent service) over any other road travel (car or bus)....I will make the route a morning though to see if SCGSG girls tend to gather in a special coach, and see how big a group they are walking from Wylde Green to the school (and back). I also understand that the school has a Transition Site open to Year 6 Parents upon School Offer's acceptance, where parents can make arrangements to make sure their daughters travel together.