Bullying by Technology

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Worried_Dad

Bullying by Technology

Post by Worried_Dad »

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools ... 70,00.html

Interesting article about cyber bullying. I have a son soon starting KEGS in B'Ham, can anyone please tell me what is mobile phone bullying and sight examples. I can't think how someone could bully children using the mobile phone, so examples and discussion on what it is and how I can avoid for my son would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

"Happy slapping" is an obvious example, and one reason why camera phones are banned in so many schools. Kids use the phones to photograph their friends assaulting other children (or adults!) or to snap their victims in other embarrassing situations (eg in the toilets) and these pictures are then distributed electronically either to other phones or on the web.

Another common problem is when mobiles are used to text threats and insults to pupils. This can carry on at home, at night, etc and cause some victims to live in constant distress.

I dare say there are other forms of bullying too, of which I am unaware.

It's just old fashioned victimisation using new technology really. The problem is that images or derogatory text can be disseminated very quickly to a very large audience. Naturally this can be devastating for the victims who, I imagine, can come to feel that the whole school / community is laughing at them or in some way complicite in what is going on.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A thoroughly nasty example of bullying by text that arose locally not long ago. A child was receiving death threats by text message. The police became involved and it turned out to be an older child from the same school.

There is also harassment - groups of children continuously calling the mobile user then hanging up. Also silent phone calls where the number is withheld.

As Guest says - the same unpleasant thing, but via another medium. However, unlike a land-line number, the parents may never be aware of what is happening.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now