boys and male teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mousaka

Post by mousaka »

Some people might find it interesting. There is only one 'half male ' , very uninspiring teacher in my son's school, other than that he never had the lesson with any male teacher, until he started lessons with his tutor.
I can see now that it does make a difference. He has lots of respect towards him and learns very eagerly.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Half male is a very odd expression to use!
mousaka.

Post by mousaka. »

Maybe, but that's what he is.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Kaz wrote:Half male is a very odd expression to use!
But I do know what mousaka means! At my girls' school we had two male teachers - for Art and RE - and neither of them were exactly Erroll Flynn. Both wore sad tweed jackets and were very grey characters - Mr Chips without the charm.

My boys are very lucky in that there is quite a number of men of all ages on the staff at their school, and all of them are fantastic role models in one way or another. A couple of them aren't bad looking either! :wink:

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Interesting!

In Secondary school it can be the opposite - teenage boys will sometimes challlenge a male teacher biut won't do the same for a woman.
Angry Teacher

Post by Angry Teacher »

My boys are very lucky in that there a quite a number of men of all ages on the staff at their school, and all of them are fantastic role models in one way or another. A couple of them aren't bad looking either!
Now, this isn't quite PC is it? This is exactly why I left teaching at secondary schools. The pressure that MALE teachers are under with accusations from students for misdemeanan or inappropriateness. This ruins lives !!

Sally-Anne, please choose your thoughts carefully, girls at secondary are the worse for making accusations, particuarly when their advances are ignored or reported. It soon spirals out of control !!

It's bad enough without being gorped at by sad mothers !
mousaka

Post by mousaka »

Thank you Sally-Anne. That's exactly what I had in mind. 'Saddo' , tweed jacket , sandals,etc. Absolutely unable to keep kids under control, children sticking post-me-notes to his behind with comments like "Kick me here", subject of continuous jokes and so on. Really putting kids off the subject he teaches and it has very demoralising effect on children. If you cannot control your class and cope with pressures teaching carries, why not to find different job?
Our boys need role models and mentors, especially in early teens , and I think a few real, sporty , why not good looking :) men would come handy in schools. Of course , being a woman myself , I have nothing against female teachers (and of course I think that we women are better gender! ) :), but it would be just better if the ratio was more balanced.

Post by Guest »

Whilst I know what Mousaka is getting at I find the 'half-male' comment extremely offensive.
I am a female teacher who has worked in a team with a range of male teachers and first impressions may well be rather deceptive.
mousaka

Post by mousaka »

I am also a teacher and I am positive that kids, parents and teaching staff use various adjectives to describe me. Maybe half woman?? Ha! Ha! Do we all need to be SOOOO politically correct nowadays? Of course I would not tell the teacher in conversation with him that he is half man.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now