Applying for jobs - is this really what it's coming to?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Applying for jobs - is this really what it's coming to?

Post by Snowdrops »

This just caught my eye, and I wondered since when did companies start asking for (minimal) UCAS points and how unusual it was, indeed is it going to become the standard in days to come?

2:1 expected degree and 300 UCAS points (across 3 A-Levels)

Organisational Surveys and Insight

2:2 expected degree and 280 UCAS points (across 3 A-Levels)

Start date for the Intern Programme will be the beginning of July 2013
hermanmunster

Re: Applying for jobs - is this really what it's coming to?

Post by hermanmunster »

Not seen that but quite interesting!

perhaps they are saying that they want a 2:1 / 2:2 from a uni that required decent UCAS score to get in ... but can't actually say that in the ad?

there is some postgrad thing.. is it law? that requires specific UCAS points (I think)
daveg

Post by daveg »

Snowdrops wrote:This just caught my eye, and I wondered since when did companies start asking for (minimal) UCAS points
It's a slightly more objective way of doing "good degree from good university". 300 UCAS points is 3 Bs. So it means "Upper second from a course that requires 3 Bs to get into". It's a shade more transparent than "Upper second from a vague list of universities that the HR department arbitrarily like" or "Upper second from the universities the MD applied to in 1978".
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

daveg wrote: It's a slightly more objective way of doing "good degree from good university". 300 UCAS points is 3 Bs. So it means "Upper second from a course that requires 3 Bs to get into". It's a shade more transparent than "Upper second from a vague list of universities that the HR department arbitrarily like" or "Upper second from the universities the MD applied to in 1978".
:wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I thought it was all down to being good-looking.
Always worked for me. :wink:
Applicant sex, applicant physical attractiveness, type of rater (120 students and 105 professional employment interviewers) and the type of job were manipulated experimentally in a 2 times 2 × 2 times 2 design. Physical attractiveness of job candidates had the broadest influence on employment decisions. There was no main effect for applicant sex, but professional interviewers were biased in favour of female applicants while student raters were not. Also, as expected, professional interviewers rated job applicants less leniently than students did.
(Journal of Organisational and Occupational Psychology)
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

:lol:
I seem to remember passing my driving test for that reason at 18, in the 80's despite making myriad mistakes........ :shock: