New GCSEs

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

New GCSEs

Post by Looking for help »

My son has started his GCSE courses this term.

They are all supposed to be linear with end of course exams after 2 years.

So why is he sitting core science next June, and why is the English still hugely weighted by controlled assessment ? He is actually overwhelmed with preparing for controlled assessments. It seems that only Maths is examined at the end, and because he's in the top set, he is doing no maths this year, only Statistics which will also be examined next June (after one year) and then the whole Maths syllabus is to be done in the second year, and examined then.

I am not terribly convinced that a) it is all that much different to what's happened in the past or b) where it is different it is a good idea.

Perplexed - and glad to be going through my last child's education.
aliportico

Re: New GCSEs

Post by aliportico »

Ugh, in similar position here. Dd2 just started y10 as well - she has already done one English CA - are they really ready for this after 7 weeks? 1/8 of her gcse grade, she tells me. I thought linear would still include CA though anyway. Her maths top set are doing modular this year, so they can squeeze it in before the changes, so first exam next week. She'll be fine, should get an A* but there are others in her class who are heading for B's atm - hope they get another go in y11. And yes, she told new they're doing Core Science next June, just to see how it goes???? And apparently RS and History involve an exam at the end of y10 and another at the end of y11? I've completely lost track of all the reasons why.

Thank goodness dd1's grammar school are straightforward. Am not even wondering yet what y7 ds will end up doing!
Looking for help

History, I couldn't understand the blurb - you might be right about the exam at the end of y10.
His CA in English is next week , and it is a significant proportion, I would have also preferred to see that later in the year at least. I'm wishing he was doing modular maths as he would definitely get an A*, but to cram it all into one year is just annoying, frankly.

RE - he's doing that all in one go, but a year early (help). Music doesn't seem to have changed that much over the years. Lost interest in what goes on in German and the DT.

I feel a bit concerned as I was on top of what my others were doing, but I am completely confused with this lot :shock:

I hope the two years pass quickly :lol: and with a good result at the end.

Don't worry about the year 7s - there will have been 8 changes by then, I'm sure :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I can't answer your queries LFH, sorry, but knowing your 4 and my 4 are similar ages, give or take a year I feel your frustrations. My 4th is Y11 and I think has escaped 'changes' having started the courses earlier.
DD is doing stats and maths at the end of this year, linear, (coursework for stats). It seems that there is significant crossover so maybe there won't be too much disruption over two years for your DS. DD is starting stats this year, so only has a year, in addition to keeping on top of 'normal' maths. It's frustrating at times as the school have such high expectations and unfortunately mine tend to aim too low too often to keep the letters from school dropping on the doormat! :roll:
Counting down the days too. :D
Looking for help

Ooooh yes, Belinda, there's a sizeable chunk of coursework in the stats - I believe this brought down an awful lot of them last year, and the thing is it's the twelfth GCSE - is it really necessary to do this many ?

The problem is the high expectations on him, you are right, and he is a dreadful worrier, so I think he will self destruct before the real exams..... you are lucky your DD is in year 11, she will soon be done with it all
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Controlled assessment in English is what used to be called coursework. Yes - it is still included because most students are preparing for two GCSEs in English Language and Literature. English is very heavy in terms of content.

So - do we really want our DC to be doing exams in all these at the end of Year 11?
Shakespeare
Poetry analysis
Transcript study
Descriptive Writing
Narrative writing
20th century play
Novel from other cultures
another key 20th century or Victorian novel
Analysis of print media
Writing tasks - letter, article etc
three speaking and listening tasks

That's pretty much what they will cover across the course. Some of it has to be covered from the start of Year 10, otherwise they are just learning material which will notbe tested until 18 months later.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

will notbe tested until 18 months later.
Just like we did, you mean? Actually that is a bit tongue in cheek as Englsh is one of the subjects that I think is much harder than in the dark ages.

I am watching this with interest as I have a year 9 DS & assumed all of his would be terminal exams.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My advice would be find the syllabus (which should be in the option booklet) and look them up online. You will then find EXACTLY what the requirements are for each subject and when the exams are.
Looking for help

Kingfisher - you are quite correct, I don't really want it to be all at the end. I would be far happier for there to be modules. Everything subsequently is - A Levels, University courses, what's the big deal ?

It's just that they (or do I just mean Gove) came out with all this grandiose rhetoric about 2 years length courses with terminal exams , and then we find that actually in practice only about half of the material is examined at the end.

Good luck, scary - it will be whole different set up for your lot ( I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember what was coming in after this :lol: )

Yes G55- I will check the syllabuses (syllabi ? :oops: ) to see where we are with it all. It would be far simpler if each subject was tested in the same way with the same exam board, has anyone suggested that to him ? Perhaps it's even been done before - certainly was in Scotland when I lived there :roll:
daveg

Post by daveg »

Looking for help wrote:only Statistics which will also be examined next June (after one year) and then the whole Maths syllabus is to be done in the second year, and examined then.
That's absolutely appalling, and is only so the school can brag about GCSE passes. GCSE statistics isn't hugely valuable, and certainly a B in that and a B in maths wouldn't be remotely as valuable as an A* in maths. Delivering the whole GCSE maths syllabus in one year is poor practice, as I'm sure Guest55 will be along shortly to reinforce.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now