Tuition rates in Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
iw1234

Tuition rates in Birmingham

Post by iw1234 »

What are "average" hourly rates for 11+ tuition in Birmingham for 1:1 tuition - I am being quoted about £40 per hour - is that about right?
Amarstone

Re: Tuition rates in Birmingham

Post by Amarstone »

We paid £40 an hour and I know of another who charges this rate too. I also know of a good tutor who charges £25. Usually, if tutors have a good reputation, they can charge as much as £40.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Rates vary hugely from what I have seen. Some charge £10 per hour for group tuition in Year 4 rising to £20 per hour for Year 5. Another I know charges £20 an hour for one to one tuition irrespective of age. A very indemand tutor I know charges £25 for an hour of one to one tuition and an extra £5 for an hour of testing (where the child is left to carry out timed tests so the charge is for photocopying and marking). I personally feel £40 is rather a lot and the experienced tutors I know of dont charge this much, but then they are booked up years in advance.

I was at one of my children's schools talking to a parent who said he paid £70 for each hour :o that's the most shocking price I have heard!

In general prices vary according to whether it is a group or one to one, the experience of the tutor, whether you travel to them or them to you etc so many factors...
MSD

Post by MSD »

Moseleymum - Make that £30 per hour for 1:1 and £5 for extra hour of testing :D

Well worth it though!
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

iw1234 wrote:What are "average" hourly rates for 11+ tuition in Birmingham for 1:1 tuition - I am being quoted about £40 per hour - is that about right?
Depends on the quality of the tutor - a very good tutor is worth that and double. Problem is the experienced ones are booked up. £40 sounds not too far off the mark in my experience.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Happy Dad,

Have you considered Wolverhampton Grammar? There are quire a few scholarship and assisted places available.

Mine had enough and doesn't want to sit any more tests :( I believe this is another reason the cut-off for some grammar schools will be slightly higher.

MSD
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

MSD, thanks.

Yes, he will be taking the test next Saturday - however I have no delusions that he will be in the Top Ten so get seven years free education.

He was very keen until the GS results came out - now he is losing interest rapidly. I really want him to sit the KES exam in January but think it is now just too far away so all motivation will have gone by the time the exam comes round. Although conversely maybe it will be slightly easier to get into indi schools this year - the KES letter to all GS applicants did hint at some concern they may have.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

MSD wrote:Moseleymum - Make that £30 per hour for 1:1 and £5 for extra hour of testing :D

Well worth it though!

Hmmm, prices have gone up! I haven't used that particular tutor for a few years....
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

We paid £25 an hour for a few sessions over the summer hols. These were mostly practice papers which she marked and went through the next session. Someone with a DC in year 5 did tell me she was paying £40 an hour and driving several miles out towards Stourbridge too!

I have to say that results at our primary have been pretty variable this year and can't see much correlation between amount of tutoring/using the 'best' tutors/any available tutor/diy and test scores. We did have one child score 283 :shock: but no idea what the prep was there.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Not in Central Birmingham but when I asked £35 per hour - min 2 hours/week, min 1 year commitment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now