seandoyle

Ashlawn V LSS

Post by seandoyle »

Has anyone got any advice on which school to select
ginx

Re: Ashlawn V LSS

Post by ginx »

Hi, I'm biased.

I like the flexibility at Ashlawn, the fact that dc can move into the grammar stream (later just "top stream") or out of it ... not a problem. I have changed from disliking the fact there are so many students to appreciating that. In some ways, you are more likely to find a friend, someone like you, amongst so many pupils (approx 250 per year).

The teachers are very positive and pushy, determined to stretch your child to his/her utmost potential and beyond!

However, I know LSS is good too; a traditional grammar school. I have heard it's important to like sport (don't know if there's any truth in that), of problems with pastoral care, and lots of homework - but Ashlawn also gives out a fair amount of homework and isn't perfect.

I'm not helping! You're lucky if you have to choose between the two - both are good schools. I suppose if my ds got into LSS I would send him there, it's an excellent grammar school with good reputation. If your ds did not score highly in the 11+, Ashlawn might be better because of the flexibility of moving up and down streams. I wonder if a dc gets a better all rounded education there.

I suppose the question is, has your ds got in to both schools - where do you live - which does your ds prefer? Do you have a gut feeling? It's a school with a good catchment. Oh to have such a problem ... without knowing your ds, it's difficult to comment. Sorry!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It will depend upon your views on single-sex or co-educational schools too of course and which of those you'd choose if all else was equal.
seandoyle

Post by seandoyle »

Thanks

I think I would prefer a mixed school and I found Ashlawn more approacable on the open days but I feel it is difficult to turn down a place at a traditional grammer school hence the problem
ginx

Post by ginx »

Having decided to send dd to a single-sex school, I'm now wondering if that is what I'd choose in a perfect world. She won't know any boys (apart from her brothers) and girls aren't always very friendly! She thinks boys disrupt the class (sorry!!!) and that it's a good thing. I'm not so sure.

Personal preference I suppose.
justathought

Post by justathought »

Totally understand your predicament. Perhaps another visit to both schools might help you differentiate. Sometimes you can get a very different perspective on open days compared to a visit during school hours. If you take your dS then he too can put into the mix and help you come to a decision.

Just a thought!
ginx

Post by ginx »

justathought

why didn't I think of that?

I think it would be really helpful, my dd might/not change her mind.

Thank you.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

Hi, my son has just finished his first 1/2 term at Ashlawn and he loves it. We spent the whole of year 5 expecting him to go to LS, but after the open day and a private visit it became clear to us and him that it was not for him.We found the teachers rather dull and strict and many of the boys seemed to be exceptionally clever (and particularly into computors in a big way) whist we found ashlawn to be full of fun and teachers ready to see how each individual learns and get the most out of them. There are 4 grammer classes this year made up of 11+ kids and level 5 and 6 sats kids. Ashlawn is certainly not a 'go if you can't get into LS' as most of the children in his class put it first and scored very highly in 11+ (if we'd put it 2nd he wouln't have got a place). He has made more friends in 6 weeks (despite being the only one going from his school) than the whole time at primary and comes home full of how great it is. We so made the right choice!!
Doodys mum

Post by Doodys mum »

Just thought I'd add to the debate to give the LSS view-point.

My son is a Sheriff boy, now in year 10. The homework did seem never ending in year 7 (particularly the first term) and was very tiring, but it settled down and hasn't been a problem since - I think the boys just needed to learn to manage their time.

As for stuffy / stern teachers and exceptionally brainy (or geeky) children, I guess its just a matter of opinion. The boys I know who go there (including some at the top of the top sets) are extremely down to earth. The sporty ones come home with dirty trousers and shoes most days after playing too much football at lunchtime in their uniform. One Mum said to me that LSS as a single-sex school is just what her son needs so he can concentrate in class instead of showing off to the many girls he seems to be meeting up with after school. Others are naturally quiet and just want to sit on PS3, facebook or watch TV. Most, if not all, will have their moments of rushing homework or doing it on the bus in the morning.

The great positives for me have been my son's happiness and his continued desire to want to go to school and to learn. The boys seem able to have a laugh with teachers but most importantly they know when its appropriate to do so. As with anywhere, some teachers are more approachable and fun than others and some are better at teaching than others. I think the school works hard to get the balance between fun and formality just right.

The main downside is that about half of the school live away from Rugby and travel by bus. We are one of these bus families, but given the choice again I would still pick LSS.
Daddy Long Legs

temporary

Post by Daddy Long Legs »

This post has been removed while it is being discussed by moderators.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now