Another Essex appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dreamweaver

Another Essex appeal

Post by dreamweaver »

Hi all, I am also new to the forum. Please i would like o start n appeal for my DS for Kegs. Can anyone advise when i can start this process?
Is it possible to ask for a resit at this point in the case of extenuating circumstances?
Should i be lodging the extenuating circumstances with CSSE for now?
Please advise.

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Another Essex appeal

Post by Etienne »

dreamweaver wrote:Hi all, I am also new to the forum. Please i would like o start n appeal for my DS for Kegs. Can anyone advise when i can start this process?
Best to start by reading the Q&As:
Can I appeal now, or do I have to wait until March?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it possible to ask for a resit at this point in the case of extenuating circumstances?
I would have thought it highly unlikely.
Should i be lodging the extenuating circumstances with CSSE for now?
It depends what instructions/advice they've given in their 11+ arrangements - but it's usually best to notify the admission authority of extenuating circumstances at the earliest appropriate opportunity (i.e. in the lead up to, or at the time of, the 11+).
After the 11+, my guess is that the response is likely to be "Wait for the appeal and raise these matters then" - but you may wish to check this with the consortium.
Etienne
aang

Re: Another Essex appeal

Post by aang »

My understanding is the following:

1. You cannot appeal until you have been rejected. When you receive the official letter from the LEA stating which school you have been allocated on 1 March 2013, then you can start the appeal process for the schools that you had chosen but had not received an offer.

2. I have never heard of anyone being allowed a resit for 11+. I believe the waiting list order still holds for the first term. After that if the schools have a vacancy, they may have an exam for the interested candidates but check with the school.

3. Extenuating circumstances do not carry that much weight under the new guidelines. The key is to prove academic ability and why your child wants to go to that particular school.

4. Essex has a particularly low success rate for appeals, especially the "super selectives" like KEGS and CRGS (my estimate is around 15%). It may be that your DS score of 340 will get an offer from CRGS (KEGS is less likely). If you want to prepare for an appeal in advance, then read the many posts in this appeal forum as this highlight the type of supporting information that you can start collating..

Good luck..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now