Dyslexia, time allowances and points

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

Dyslexia, time allowances and points

Post by Sunshine 11 »

My daughter has dyslexia, she has a professional report to support this. However, she is no longer on SEN, school action or school action plus as she has learnt to overcome it. She still performs below her IQ ability though, but is now average for her year.

I wondered if anyone had experience of asking for extra allowance for conditions such as dyslexia and what experience they had, I believe we would be entitled to some extra time and extra marks. We are aiming for Ribston as that is where she would most like to go and with the performing arts etc it would probably be most suitable for her. She is also very young in her year, July, and so I wondered what marks were given for that too.

Any answers welcome :-)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Guest55

Re: Dyslexia, time allowances and points

Post by Guest55 »

Hi - typically you don't get much extra time for dyslexia; although 25% extra might be given for KS2 tests and GCSEs I've never heard of more than 10% or so at 11+.

No extra points are ever given.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

For Grammar School exam, she will get the age benefit.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But that isn't 'extra points' - the score is compared to others the same age and standardised.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

My reply has just disappeared :( Anyway, to cut a longer answer short..no there would be no points added but your DD might get 25% extra time for the test and take it in a separate room. Arrangements are usually made by your primary school senco. You can get info from LA or parent partnership are helpful. If your DD gets extra time now for tests and is likely to have this for her SATs then she will probably be entitled to extra time for 11+. You will need up to date written report from an assessment by ed psych and ask your school if you think her assessments need updating to arrange it in plenty of time as you will want the arrangements made by end of summer term so you know what to expect. Got a DD with dyslexia at RHHS so PM me if you want.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Great to hear Mum23. I am very new to this as you can tell and so I will try to pm you. Relieved to find someone who has experience of this :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We only got 10% despite an Ed Psych report stating 25% was recommended - it does vary how much will be allowed.

There has never been a problem for KS2 tests, KS3 tests, GCSE and A level - just 11+ :shock:
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Thanks Guest55 and how did you apply for it ? did the primary school get involved ?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

oh that's a bit unfair G55. I found that DD did finish in about the normal time which we had always stuck to with our prep but the extra time was useful for DD because she does normally have issues with processing speed. DD didn't find VR too bad especially being multi choice. Probably the worst ones for her were the "find the bit of the word missed out" ones because of the spellings. Glad G55 that you have had the extra time for GCSEs. My eldest doing them this year and she also has processing speed issues and will have extra time too. She never presented as classically dyslexic but I knew it took her longer to write. Her school was helpful in assessment and access arrangements which I was pleased with.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry what do you mean?

I meant that my DCwas allowed 25% extra time in other exams but NOT the 11+; how is that fair?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now