Rankings 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

joshie

Rankings 2012

Post by joshie »

Some stats from last year:

SGS lowest offer on March 1 = 328. Ranked 179 out of 534 girls and 330 out of 1064 children in south

AGS lowest offer on March 1 = 324. Ranked 196 out of 534 girls and 370 out of 1064 children in south.

Sorry don't have the same info for KES.
Bad Dad

Re: Rankings 2012

Post by Bad Dad »

Thanks joshie!
If lowest offers for SGS and AGS respectively were 328 and 324, why did our letter say the AQS was 330 and 327? I thought the definition of AQS would be the lowest score from which all children achieving that score were made offers on March 1? Anyone know why the lowest offer score would be 2 or 3 points below AQS? Seems like good news for the borderline gang, though.
joshie

Post by joshie »

This confuses me too. I can understand how there would be a one point difference between the aqs and lowest offer because of several dc on the same score, but dont get why there should be more than this.
suzysu

Post by suzysu »

Maybe they are like aeroplane seats, they oversell them knowing not everyone will turn up?!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

AQS = automatic qualifying score, I believe? i.e. automatically offered a place. And then if there are places still available there's the review panel that allows a few cases considered deserving. And then after that there's the waiting list for any remaining places and any offers that are declined. Hence the differences.

Mike
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

mike1880 wrote:...if there are places still available there's the review panel that allows a few cases considered deserving. And then after that there's the waiting list for any remaining places and any offers that are declined. Hence the differences.
I am not sure waiting lists are relevant as joshie is refering to LOS on 1st March, not after the full process has taken its course and further offers have been made via the waiting list. I suppose the Review Panel might be the reason for the mismatch between AQS and LOS on 1st March if they meet prior to 1st March and add in a few who have just missed the AQS. But as joshie implies, you'd expect they would just let in a few from the group on 1 point below AQS using the secondary criteria (i.e. who scored highest in the maths).
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

But then if it was totally on score criteria why have a panel at all? I suspect that they're looking at the scores etc in closer detail when making the decision about who gets offered the last few places. After all when we're talking one or two marks then the ranking could easily be affected by something like the age standardisation which is fairly crude. A child whose birthday falls on the same day of the month as the exam would be classed as a whole month older than another child who is only one day younger. If that difference in age standardisation makes a difference of just one mark per subject then over three subject areas that could easily make a difference between getting a place or not. So they're maybe considering things like that and are able to fine-tune their decision a little bit more for those within a few marks of the cutoff.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Okanagan, agree with what you say about the panel, if there is one that meets before 1st March. I don't think it is likely though. This link to a ruling by the schools adjudicator seems to imply it is all done as a simple formula involving standardised score and other information about the child is not to be taken into account:
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... lcGram.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

But the Secondary admissions document is quite explicit about the "Committee of Reference" part of whose role is "determine an automatic qualifying score for entry to each grammar school. They also determine a waiting list score range for each grammar school" so must by definition meet before the offers are made. A finer tuning of the standardisation around the borderline wouldn't actually be contrary to the principle of ranking according to standardised scores - and would explain the apparent slight discrepency between AQS and lowest offer if the published values are from the cruder version of the standardisation?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I still don't see the confusion. First places are allocated to children with the AQS or above. Any remaining places are allocated to Category 2. Because AQS is an automatic place, and because they don't offer above PAN on 1st March, AQS must (almost always) by definition be set one point above the score that would fill the PAN. Which means that a small number of Category 2 entries will almost always be offered places; and there will not necessarily be enough (or any) Category 2 children scoring one point less than AQS, hence the two or three point gap.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now