Level 6 SATS.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CardyMow

Level 6 SATS.

Post by CardyMow »

Are these really for the child, or for the school? Would it help with an 11+ appeal if a child gained level 6 SATS? My DS will be sitting the level 6 SATS, which was decided before I thought about him sitting the 11+. The school are very keen for him to sit them. The only plus side, for me, is that they will show his academic ability if an appeal for Grammar is necessary. (He was very ill on the day, sat the alternate test date, but was still ill at that time, and was off for over half of last half term. But was still getting level 6's in the work he was managing to do at home.)

What sort of Maths and English work is required to achieve a level 6 SATS result? Is there a list I could look at, to see where he has gaps in his knowledge so that I can fill them in? Like a list of skills that you need to get level 6. Say, in Maths, do you need to have working knowledge of Pythagoras' theorem etc. do you need to know how to work out the area of a cylinder. A list of level 6 skills for both would be helpful. Descriptors of what is being looked for to award that level.
Okanagan

Re: Level 6 SATS.

Post by Okanagan »

The 2012 level 6 Maths and English papers are here if you want an idea of what's included.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

there have been several discussions on this,worth using search facility
CardyMow

Post by CardyMow »

Thank you, hadn't noticed the search facility. I've only just ventured outside the Essex and Appeals sections. :oops: Thank you for the link to the past papers, as it has given me some ideas of activities to do with my DS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It would be more helpful to look at the APP descriptors for level 6 - the papers don't test 'using and applying' and, as a maths teacher, that is an important area to cover.

A number of teachers are very 'cautious' about these tests as the questions are VERY structured for a 'true' level 6.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

APP descriptors can be found here.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:It would be more helpful to look at the APP descriptors for level 6 - the papers don't test 'using and applying' and, as a maths teacher, that is an important area to cover.

A number of teachers are very 'cautious' about these tests as the questions are VERY structured for a 'true' level 6.
My son came out of primary school with a level 6 in Maths, despite my having actually gone into the school and asked that instead of putting him in for it, they do extra cookery, or running round the playground, or good deeds in the community, all of which I felt would be a more productive use of his time. Luckily we had talked about its limitations and explained that his new school was unlikely to be impressed, or to acknowledge his brilliance expressed in this way.

And true enough, his first report in Year 7 shows him as a level 5B. As I suspected, his school (superselective GS) has filed the result in the back drawer. To be clear, this suits me fine. He will cover the 'proper' level 6 stuff with everyone else, I imagine. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: Maybe the primary school felt obliged to give every child a maths lesson every day. It does sound as though they could have covered the level 5 stuff better maybe? It doesn't really matter though if you are going on to a secondary school that does just ignore the whole silly lot and everyone is going to get a good enough grounding for high grades at GCSE and A level maths if that's where their interest and ability lies.

It is nice though that in some way some primary schools are being "ambitious" with the maths. Yes some really good enrichment would be preferable in terms of real maths education for those who have already achieved a good standard early in year 6, but primary school teachers in general are not especially prepared for that unless it is "their thing".

It's an enviable position to be in for many.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Maybe the primary school felt obliged to give every child a maths lesson every day.
cookery, ratio , size up the recipe so that staff can have 4 biscuits each..(5 for the head, no chocolate) reading scales..data handling , questionnaire design to find favourite flavours.

mean speed, acceleration, mph..direction, rate of deterioration of shoe soles...perimeter, area and optimum route around playground..

dilution of detergent, %age profit, how many teachers cars/school floors can I wash in an hour? probability that seagull will land on bonnet just after I have cleaned it..

possibilities are endless!

:D
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I'm a little confused with SAT's. Should we just leave it up to the school to do the tutoring for this? Or are we expected to prepare our DC for them? Do the results really matter to us, or is it the school that benefits?

I would love my DD to do well, but as I got such a NEGATIVE result at parents evening regarding my DD and the 11+ (teacher totally ignored me when I mentioned she had done well, and I wanted to say that her excellent school work was due to home tutoring leading up to the 11+, but alas I was cut off!), I feel should we really bother?!! :roll: