Living in Bexley, is it worth taking the Kent Exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fred

Living in Bexley, is it worth taking the Kent Exam?

Post by fred »

Hi All

My kids will be taking the exam next year, and I have been looking at the various options available.

We live in North Thamesmead and was wondering if it was worth entering the Kent exam for Dartford Grammar or Wilmington Grammar (girls).

Does anyone know if children from my area are attending any of these schools, distance is about 8 miles.

The reason why I would like to know is not to waste time on NVR and concentrate our efforts on Bexley requirements, hoping it does not change.

Any information would be appreciated.
kingsgen

Re: Living in Bexley, is it worth taking the Kent Exam?

Post by kingsgen »

Some Grammar schools in Bexley do accept kids from Thamesmead but you have to decide for yourself what you want for your kids. It could be to their advantage or disadvantage. I believe there is no crime in trying NVR as you are only adding one subject to it and it can work in your favour as a back up but only you can decide even as a parent and tutor, I can only advise parents but allow them to make their decision.
fred

Post by fred »

Hi Kingsgen
thanks for your reply. To clarify, we leave in the Bexley part of Thamesmead, so the question was really what are the chances of getting into the Kent school even if they are successful in the exams, as they would be out of Kent borough.

Having to cover non-verbal would take x amount of time which could be better spent on Maths and VR which I know are within my catchment.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi Fred

According to the other website, Wilmington Girls offered 84 of its 120 places to out of county applicants, virtually all to Londoners, from Bexley to Southwark.
sata

Post by sata »

Fred, it is worth taking the Kent test as the assessment cover all the papers that the Bexley assess and in addition, Non Verbal Reasoning and a written paper which is not assessed [only in the case of an appeal].

In addition, Kent share border with part of Bexley and hence distance is not too great particularly if you are looking at schools in Dartford [Dartford Grammar boys and girls and Wilmington boys and girls].

My dd [daughter] took three assessments this year [Kent, Bexley and Newstead Wood] and given the fact that the Kent test was the first to be done, I feel it was good for her and eventually passed all of them [decision is now yet to be taken by the authority where she has made her choices] - Dartford Grammar Girls the first followed by Newstead Wood and Bexley Grammar.
fred

Post by fred »

All,

Thanks for your helpful replies. I also thought I would contact the schools with a hope that I would get some useful information; which I did get, quoted below:

“Thank you for your e-mail. In the last 10 years, with the exception on 2011, we have offered places up to 10 miles straight line distance on 1st March. In 2011 we went out 7.9 miles on the first round of offers, but on re-allocation from our waiting list which took place on 15th April we went out a further 3 miles”.

This is useful information for me as I would have been reluctant for my DCs to take exams where they had a slim chance of getting accepted even if they were successful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now