Multiplication facts - how fast?????

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Multiplication facts - how fast?????

Post by mystery »

I've noticed that year 4 DD's multiplication facts are fading - they were fast in year 3 but seem to be going rusty.

I've done one of those multiplication squares that people on here talk about - an 11 by 11 grid with borders. Along the top border and left hand border I've listed the numbers 2 to 12 in random order.

She has to complete the multiplication fact in each square - so all the facts from 2x 2 to 12 x 12 will be practised in random order.

What do you think would be a good kind of time for this - the sort of minimum speed you'd need for your tables not to hold you up unnecessarily when doing calculator free 11plus and SAT paper etc.
SleepyHead

Re: Multiplication facts - how fast?????

Post by SleepyHead »

at a guess about 30 minutes about 15 seconds each, interested to know other opinions.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think that would be too slow - I would hope DD would be more like a couple of seconds each with some instant and some a bit slower. 15 secs is a long time. I am sure there have been threads on here in the past about doing 100 squares in 5 or 6 mins.
JRM

Post by JRM »

DS did these at school. They set him targets for time and it got to be a ridiculous speed writing test as far as I could see. So I don't actually have a useful answer to give you and should have just kept quiet. :lol:
My DD is in year 3 now, and she's still not 100% reliable. If your DD is, then I would just do some of those squares and set her challenges to imp,rove her time by x seconds. I'm sure it will come to a naturally sensible speed with practice.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Around that age my DD used to get 20 to complete in 2 minutes at school. If they didn't get 18 right in the 2 mins they didn't move to the next level the following week.
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank you. I should be aiming then for about 13 minutes minimum, and then speeding up from there. Thing is it takes a little time just physically to see which two numbers you are on the intersection of, and write two digits down. Maybe answering questions on a worksheet would be better.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

would say instant recall, like a knee jerk reaction.

try
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/mathgam ... cation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (fast version)

http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com/g ... eteor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to build up speed..

he who hesitates is lost! ( or gets his spaceship blown up)
JRM

Post by JRM »

I think getting used to that style of grid helps your speed for doing the grids. The overall aim is for instant recall though. When DS does it he picks a line and works accross it. So if there is a 3, he just works accross as if it is a jumbled 3x table test. Then the next row might be 8 and he works across that.

Spaceships sound more fun.
Dr Seuss
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Spaceships sound more fun.
:D

have a go , it's strangely addictive!!
JRM

Post by JRM »

I just have. And I should be putting a poorly 4 year old to bed. Why have I got more addicted to this place now that the 11+ is over and done with? You are all a bad influence.
Dr Seuss
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now