11+....where do we start??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gillw

11+....where do we start??

Post by gillw »

Hi all,
Been hunting around for information & found my way to this forum which looks packed with good information.

We live in Worcestershire and have an 8 year old daughter who has just started Year 4 of First School. She is in the top sets for English, Maths, Reading etc and we would like to put her forward for the 11+….but where do we start??
I understand that the 11+ is not available in Worcestershire, so we are happy to go to nearby Warwickshire with the aim for her possibly attending Alcester Grammar.

I’ve been doing a bit of reading around what the tests comprises of, but I’m still not clear on the following….

When/what age do we need to apply for our daughter to sit the 11+?
How do we apply for Alcester Grammar if we are in Worcestershire? When do we need to apply?
Is it widely accepted that most children need extra tutoring to pass the 11+. I understand this is mainly down to an individual child’s knowledge, but is there content in the 11+ which is over & above the normal KS2 curriculum?
If tutoring is required, how early should this start?

Would like to hear peoples experience if they have been (or are) in a similar position to us.

I’m sure I’ll have many more questions, but any responses/help is appreciated. :)

gillw
Okanagan

Re: 11+....where do we start??

Post by Okanagan »

gillw wrote:When/what age do we need to apply for our daughter to sit the 11+?
In the summer term of year 5 (at the moment - with the exams in September. If the exam gets moved forward to the end of Year 5 as is being suggested in some areas then this would obviously change. I've not heard that it's suggested for Warwickshire - but watch this space and you'l find out if it is!
gillw wrote:How do we apply for Alcester Grammar if we are in Worcestershire? When do we need to apply?
You apply to Warwickshire to take the test, then apply through Worcestershire, but put a Warwickshire school down on your application form, in October of year 5.
gillw wrote:Is it widely accepted that most children need extra tutoring to pass the 11+. I understand this is mainly down to an individual child’s knowledge, but is there content in the 11+ which is over & above the normal KS2 curriculum?
It seems to be increasingly accepted that this is the case - although extra tutoring doesn't have to mean paid tutoring, it can be working at home with a parent if you're confident to take it on, and they're willing to work with you. Or of course a mix of paid tutoring and home practice. It does supposedly cover content to the end of KS2 - which is obviously a year on from when they actually take it.
gillw wrote:If tutoring is required, how early should this start?
Matter of opinion - some would say year 4, others at the start of year 5. It depends upon how intensive you want it to be - starting earlier lets you space it out more, or later might make it more focused.
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

My tip is don't tutor. Teachers I know from shottery tell me that they can quickly identify those who have been tutored and those that haven't- those that have been tutored struggle. That is not to say that your DC shouldn't understand the type of questions and exam technique/time management.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think you'd need to qualify that advice a bit more strongly. Even those of us who think you can't train people to pass the test would say that it's a good idea to tutor: you need to make sure that the whole curriculum is covered a year ahead of time, you need to identify any weak areas and do something about them, and it does no harm to develop some problem solving skills and get used to sitting test papers. That doesn't mean you need to pay a tutor, you can theoretically do all of that yourself...if you have co-operative children and are a competent teacher (amateur or otherwise).
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I am another who doesn't think tutoring helps anyone. The right child should be able to get in without additional support.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

mike1880 wrote: you need to make sure that the whole curriculum is covered a year ahead of time, .
Sorry, I don't agree. Talk about putting pressure on the child. As long as the curriculum is covered by the time the 11+ comes along, then yes. But one year ahead of time......totally unnecessary! :D
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:
mike1880 wrote: you need to make sure that the whole curriculum is covered a year ahead of time, .
Sorry, I don't agree. Talk about putting pressure on the child. As long as the curriculum is covered by the time the 11+ comes along, then yes. But one year ahead of time......totally unnecessary! :D
But with the exam literally only a few days into year 6, you do effectively have to cover the whole of the 6 year curriculum before the end of year 6. So at an academic year ahed, rather than a chronological year - but you still have to have them, 4 days into the new school year, where the curriculum expects them to be at the end of it!
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

But an able child will have covered it as school will have stretched them?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

If you are lucky. Not necessarily the case for all schools though, so you probably can't make the assumption.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Are DC expected to have covered all of the year 6 curriculum? Mine certainly didn't and they both passed with flying colours!!!