NFER paper 11A

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KV

NFER paper 11A

Post by KV »

Hi,
Help ... :? My daughter is able to score only 38 out of 60 on the first NFER test 11A. This is after having gone through the Bond 10 to 11 books and some of the learning together papers. What should we do?
Any suggestions....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Keep practising!!

Identify teh type of questions she is having difficulty with and work on those. Teh Susan Daughtrey books are good but not all LEAS use all those types. Have you looked at teh CDs or downloads from this site? They are good value and you cansee the progress she is making. They record teh last 10 attempts at teh tests.

How long is it 'til she takes teh 11+?

My children struggled at first with teh NFER papers, but soon picked up speed and accuracy
KV

NFER paper 11A

Post by KV »

However , the CDs on the site are for Verbal reasoning not for NVR.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

oops sorry !

I keep making that mistake....

Lots of practice. Look at teh ones she gets wrong and work out together how the answer was arrived at.

It is only by getting things wrong you know where to improve.

NVR is a particular skill, that needs to be honed.

Try to focus more on the "puzzle" side rather than the end score.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

The Bond books appear to be set at an easier level than the actual NFER standard, although their NVR Papers are of a more equivalent standard to NFER.

As an introduction they are very good. But you need to go upto the next level, and the following books help do this. Link to 1st of the 2 in the series is on following URL (2nd also sold by this site)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=269

This site will also (in the very near future), be adding a NVR CD to thier arsenal, which I'm eagerly anticipating too.

Good Luck

BW
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Just found this post further down, which may be of some solace!

[i]Bond are generally far more difficult than NFER papers. Having said that, I have now seen a plethora of different NVRs by different editors, and in my opinion the prize for the most difficult NVR ever should go to :

NFER NVR paper 11A

To this day there are still some questions which I do not know why the answer to them is the one given in the asnwer booklet.

However, I remain open to alternative suggestions and nominations![/i]

Post by Guest »

Bond have just released some new books called More 4th NVR and more 5th NVR which are basically more advanced papers. These may be worth trying for extra practice. I think its 5 or 6 papers in each book
KV

NFER paper 11A

Post by KV »

Thanks will try the bond papers and try to understand the solutions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now