What would you choose ? Indie vs Grammar school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BeckMum

What would you choose ? Indie vs Grammar school

Post by BeckMum »

Hi all,

I have been looking at University desitnations of certain grammar schools vs indies in the south london area?
Particularly schools like Eltham college , Dartford grammar etc.

70-80% from Eltham college went to Oxbridge + Russell group Universities
compared to only about 32% from Dartford Grammar.

The trend is similar in many other Kent/Bexley/Sutton grammar schools. The % going to Oxbridge+RG Uni from grammar schools is way less compared to some of the
indies. Only one or two grammar schools have a higher/on par % compared to the indies.

What does this really imply and why ?

I must admit , I am a newbie to "understanding secondary schools" ! So your views are much appreciated.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... ateSchools

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: What would you choose ? Indie vs Grammar school

Post by hermanmunster »

Have to remember that not everyone who goes to a particular school goes to Russell or Oxbridge and indeed some kids who can't or don't want to go there feel that they are not supported as much as those who are going to make the headlines for the school...

Many of the kids will get into these unis regardless of which school they are at and hence the important thing (as we always say) is that it has to be the right school for the child ....

Also remember that if people are struggling with indie fees they may feel even worse when it comes to funding uni ... nice to have some "free education" time!
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Pardon my ignorance hermanmunster..

Do the Oxbridge/RG cost more than the others ? Are there free Unis ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sorry - all unis are expensive in terms of keeping kids there (plus fees for kid to pay back later) - the loans don't cover much so it is the parental bank account that funds it. Glad I stopped using indies at age 11 and managed to save some money while kids were at GS..
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

BeckMum wrote:Hi all,

I have been looking at University desitnations of certain grammar schools vs indies in the south london area?
Particularly schools like Eltham college , Dartford grammar etc.

70-80% from Eltham college went to Oxbridge + Russell group Universities
compared to only about 32% from Dartford Grammar.

The trend is similar in many other Kent/Bexley/Sutton grammar schools. The % going to Oxbridge+RG Uni from grammar schools is way less compared to some of the
indies. Only one or two grammar schools have a higher/on par % compared to the indies.

What does this really imply and why ?

I must admit , I am a newbie to "understanding secondary schools" ! So your views are much appreciated.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... ateSchools

Thanks
Great Link, thanks for sharing
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Is there a site that compares Indie Uni destinations by school.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

From the linked "Top English State Schools By University Sucess" it seem only between 5-20% Oxbridge entry. I think the top indies such as Westminster/St Paul's Girls'/St Paul's have may be around 30-40%. If a DC is extremely bright than it probably doesn't matter much and as long as the school is supportive of Oxbridge application He/She will have a good chance of getting in. But some of the top indies are probably have higher % because they ususally managed to attract top students from both states and indies post GCSE into their sixth form. Colchester Royal Grammar School takes 30 top boarding students some from overseas (who hold british/EC passport) into sixth form and a high % got into Oxbridge.
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Thanks Tabasco..
Could you elaborate. What is the schools role in "supporting" an application to Oxbridge. Do the Indies do more to get their pupils in than the Grammar schools ?
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Anecdotally I have heard that Oxbridge allocate a certain amount of places to Independent schools that they have "close ties" to.They won't admit to this.

QE boys get a high proportion of boys into the top Universities as the school strongly supports these applications and perhaps helps with interview skills etc.

In general Indies do more but some grammars are catching up -HBS for example.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

BeckMum wrote:Thanks Tabasco..
Could you elaborate. What is the schools role in "supporting" an application to Oxbridge. Do the Indies do more to get their pupils in than the Grammar schools ?
I agree with magi22

The school will teach and probably arrange for admission tutor to give talks to prospective students, advise on which colleage at Oxbridge to apply for and mock interview/interviewing skills etc. One of my previous colleague's DD is currently in year 13 at a GS and she attended a talk given by admission tutors from Oxbridge in year 12. The admission tutors said that the most important factor they are looking for from an Oxbridge applicant is their "academic ability".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now