Literacy lack of confidence, but passed 11+!

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cassie7

Literacy lack of confidence, but passed 11+!

Post by cassie7 »

Hi!

Can anyone offer me some advice. DD currently in year 6, has always been viewed as an average performer by her (highly competitive / highly tutored) state primary. Had a particularly bad teacher in year 3 and lost her confidence across the board, but I'm ashamed to say as parents we didn't really pick this up until well into year 4. We also had no idea of how much external tutoring had been going on (she is our eldest)!

I am concerned that in sending her to Grammar school she may struggle with the literacy components.

We believe in her, and her literacy tutor, believes that once we can unlock her confidence, her performance will soar........ the challenge is how do we restore her confidence?

I think she will blossom in the right school, I believe she is just a late developer, and deep down believe she is bright, but I have these niggling doubts that we are pushing her too hard, and that a super selective grammar school may not be right for her.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

I appreciate your comments!
Last edited by cassie7 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daogroupie

Re: Literacy lack of confidence, but passed 11+!

Post by Daogroupie »

What were the components of the exams she passed? There is no big secret to literacy, just the right preparation. How lovely that she confounded the doubters. DG
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ignore the primary school, relax, and take up the place at the superselective. Your primary school does not seem the type to say "sorry we misjudged your daughter".

Her comprehension lags her reading - this is an inane comment from a school - all too common though. What does it mean I wonder?

Enjoy!
cassie7

Post by cassie7 »

DG and Mystery,

Thank yor for your kind words. We are very proud of her, but are finding ourselves doubting her ability because of what her school is telling us.

She sat (and passed) 2 GL assessment set 11+ exams. Each exam had 3 papers - non verbal reasoning, verbal reasoning and maths. Her strongest paper in both exams was non verbal reasoning. Other 2 papers (maths and verbal reasoning) were of similar levels, around 12 marks lower than NVR.

Thanks
Last edited by cassie7 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Please do not listen to the school. I tutor students in Comp and Creative Writing for selective entrance exams and I have three students this year who achieved very very high marks in English in not one but three different exams, but their primary school is refusing to enter them for the Year 6 English papers. Teachers with a class of 30 cannot always keep track of all their students. One of my students was rocketing through the English sats levels and his teacher did not even notice because they had not done any comp or creative writing all term. I have no doubt at all that your dd will soar in gs. Not sure where you are based but pm me and I can send you some materials from gs so you can reassure yourself. Shame on those teachers who have failed to recognise her potential and thank goodness she had parents who believed in her. DG
mystery

Post by mystery »

OK end of year 5, 5c in maths, combined with good NVR. That should set her up in good stead for secondary school maths to get A / A* at GCSE.

The VR and maths scores in the GL assessment papers would be marginal round here, but the other maths evidence would suggest that this is not an issue? So you shouldn't worry about the maths.

Literacy - OK the VR would be marginal round here, but the GL assessment VR paper isn't my idea of true "verbal reasoning". It's a mish-mash set of question types --- it's unclearly what it really tests to me. Maybe GL assessment could explain? Anyhow, it wouldn't set any alarm bells ringing for me about whether my child was good at literacy or not. 4c in literacy at end of year 5 is above average as 4b is average for end of year 6.

So maybe the school is not as doubtful as they would seem - their marks on paper for end of year 5 seem above average for your daughter so maybe you should sit back and think that the school has actually seen that they understimated your daughter in the past and this is now over. Also, literacy NC levels are an art, not a science.

Does the school you have been offered a place at have an open day or evening? You could look at the work on display for the current year 7 and convince yourself that it is not beyond the wit of your daughter a year from now?
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I am sure she will thrive.

Didn't the latest research show anyway that the DC who benefit most from GS education are those in the lower 3rd centime of intake? ( amber?)

Not implying she is by the way, but saying it to give you confidence that if she was, it would def be the best place for her!

Follow your heart, and your instinct. X :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now