Level Six English Paper

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Level Six English Paper

Post by Daogroupie »

I have some students who spent many manyhours doing English classes over the summer and as a result achieved very very high marks in more than one English exam for selective education. Despite this their primary school has not entered them or indeed any students for the Level 6 English paper. Having spent many many hours working with them and marking their work I know that they are easily capable of sitting this paper. The school is opposed to the Level 6 papers and refused to enter anyone for any of them last year despite some students getting full marks in the Level 5 papers and expected to do so. This year they have agreed to enter some students for the Level 6 Maths because the evidence for this is overwhelming and parents have lobbyed for it. But they refuse to even discuss the English paper opportunity. Is there someone in the education authority that can be appealed to over this? These students have worked really really hard and it seems a shame that they fall victim to the opinion of the teacher on these exams. Thanks for any advice, the sands of time are running out as schools have to apply before November 30th in order to sit these tests. DG
Guest55

Re: Level Six English Paper

Post by Guest55 »

I believe hardly any children nationally 'passed' this paper.
The KS2 level 6 Maths paper was FAR too simple and pupils will spend the whole of Year 7 getting to 'real' level 6; it is a huge jump in sophistication in using and applying. For example, calculating percentage increase must be approached in a multiplicative way not the level 5, find a % then add it on method.
longtimelurker

Post by longtimelurker »

DD is taking both of these papers and is really pleased to have been selected after crashing the 11+.

Her teacher said that the level agreed for level 6 was determined by two panels over two days and involved a range of teachers from primary, middle and secondary schools. She was really impressed with how it was done. She previously taught in a middle school in another county where the children were in sets for maths in year 7, so I assume she knows what she is talking about. I read on this forum that the paper is only to define the children who are just a level 6 and DD's teacher confirmed that for me. I don't expect DD to have done all the level 6 work, but she is enjoying being stretched.

She also felt that the papers were really tough and that any child being awarded the level certainly deserved it. The school got a few maths level 6 and only one English.

Guest 55 have you seen last year's papers? DD's teacher said the 2012 paper was tough, but the single level paper from the year before that was aimed at secondary schools was too easy.

If you have seen it, is it publicly available? I would like to see what DD has to achieve. Her teacher thinks that this paper will tell her comprehensive that she is very able. I would like DD to pass these papers too, I think it will help with her self-esteem after failing the 11+.

Aside from anything else these children are being given the chance to achieve in year 6, having been levelled 5 in year 5.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Longtimelurker, past SATs papers are available free from many sites including this one:
http://www.sats-papers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd's teacher told us only one dc gained a level 6 in Warwickshire this year. Don't know if it's true - but dd's school are not entering anyone for English; and there is one girl who is brilliant at it, so I am surprised.

Only one in the county is amazing. It must be very difficult!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I can only offer my own experience of my younger DS, who has just started GS.

He was put in for level 6 tests, and was thrilled as his school did not really do any particular practice for them, and kept a broad and fun curriculum. He certainly was never asked to do any work at home for them, thankfully, as I wouldn't have agreed.

He did get the level 6's.

On his recent first grades from GS his maths level is now a 6a, and English ditto. Tis is at half term in October......so I guess that level 6 in his case in year 6 was indicative of his "real" level. Obviously there are skills he is now learning too, and he has gaps etc, but given the assessment this term I am sure he is on the right course........

We do no extra maths or English at home, and he does all of his homework on his own. Of course, I'm there in the background offering a thesaurus, or asking him to read me what he has written etc.....

So who knows about the level 6. I think if they are not pressured and it interests them fine, but I don't agree with pushing forward at the expense of depth of knowledge.
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

Is your son particularly advanced in English neveragain? I wondered why schools don't seem that interested in Level 6 English, I'm wondering if it's because the child needs to have an unusually high aptitude for the subject. Our school is doing some targetted preparation for Level 6 Maths with some of the DC, not just "top table" but a few others as well - but no such effort for English.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

ginx wrote:My dd's teacher told us only one dc gained a level 6 in Warwickshire this year. Don't know if it's true - but dd's school are not entering anyone for English; and there is one girl who is brilliant at it, so I am surprised.

Only one in the county is amazing. It must be very difficult!
I really don't see the point of the level 6 SATs, to be honest. They got rid of them and then reintroduced them. Why? It seems only a few pass them and children have to be selected by the school to do them, creating upset amongst those not chosen to do them.

Get rid I say!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

No, he is good at maths though. Loves it. :D
longtimelurker

Post by longtimelurker »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Longtimelurker, past SATs papers are available free from many sites including this one:
http://www.sats-papers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Pumpkin Pie.

I wonder why, if they are apparently so easy, that so few children scored level 6. Does anyone know how to find out how many/what percentage of children achieved it? DD really wants to do this and I'm pleased she has the opportunity. The head is teaching the English and the form teacher the maths.

DD's teacher said it is much harder to get level 6 on the primary test than it is on the secondary ones. She explained that the test really is to show who the most able really are.

She also said that there is an extra paper for English this year that will be good for the 11+ children as it tests grammar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now