The best move ever!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GailJ

The best move ever!!

Post by GailJ »

I have just read some of the awful, unsupportive responses to the poor parent that just asked for advice about transport from Kingston and it has just reminded me of how relieved I am to have moved from Surrey!!
I lived in Kingston for 8 years and had my 2 children there and I will never forget how competitive and unpleasant everyone was to one another at the ante-natal groups!!
I now live in the north-west of England and am on the Trafford regional forum and we have been nothing but supportive to one another through the stressful time of the entrance exams! My son has passed and everyone was so pleased for one another and kind and helpful to those that didn't pass.
You should take a moment to have a look through the Trafford post's and then take a moment before sending out any further cruel, unhelpful responses to legitimate questions.
cakemummy

Re: The best move ever!!

Post by cakemummy »

I do agree with what you are saying except last year some of the parents on here were even worse :shock:
If anyone posted to say their DC had passed they would almost certainly get shot down by particular individuals - I found this really sad.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I should point out that the original post read rather differently. It was edited (following a warning, and a suggestion, from me) to cast a rather different light on the thread.

The original version requested the times of trains and buses, journey times, where they ran to and from, etc. The sort of spadework that parents can easily do for themselves, and quite frankly should do when applying for schools, rather than expecting others to do it all for them. I suggested to the poster that they might try Googling for such basic information.

It is one thing to ask for people's experiences - that is what this forum exists to provide. It is another to expect someone else to think for you ... :roll:
kikota

Post by kikota »

Sally Anne I am so glad you wrote that post. I felt exactly the same that it really should be up to the parent to find out all the information which is relevant to their child, especially where security issues or travelling a long distance from home are concerned without just expecting answers from a forum site. It is one thing to ask for a bit of help, but another altogether to expect everyone else to solve the dilemmas we as parents have to deal with when choosing a school for our offspring. I hardly ever post here but I did not like the reply to Samsa's post which I thought was just a logical suggestion. After all, we are the parents, we are responsible for our children, and it is in our children's best interest that we investigate ourselves and find out what makes sense for them. Before the web and Google and all the other trappings of the computer age surely this is what every parent had to do. I'm not sure that the attached poem from the original sender helped either.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

GailJ wrote:I have just read some of the awful, unsupportive responses to the poor parent that just asked for advice about transport from Kingston and it has just reminded me of how relieved I am to have moved from Surrey!!
I lived in Kingston for 8 years and had my 2 children there and I will never forget how competitive and unpleasant everyone was to one another at the ante-natal groups!!
I now live in the north-west of England and am on the Trafford regional forum and we have been nothing but supportive to one another through the stressful time of the entrance exams! My son has passed and everyone was so pleased for one another and kind and helpful to those that didn't pass.
You should take a moment to have a look through the Trafford post's and then take a moment before sending out any further cruel, unhelpful responses to legitimate questions.
Competition at the ante-natal groups :?:
What they could be competing for? Best scan of baby to be born, perhaps. or attention of the senior most midwife.

Well, yes, competition is very high for grammars here. Number of applicants are about three to four times higher than at other places. Even 'friends' don't give out secrets like 'tutors' etc. On the other hand, we have found a lot of help on this forum even without asking. Just glean through pages and pages of information available. So many people post responses to even the simple queries. Just see the 11+ subjects section.

Sorry that OP only came across the wrong posts.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
stowe

Post by stowe »

I have to agree with Sally Anne and Kikota. Tiffinboys I know that you post an awful lot on this site and this is obviously an important part of your life, but I think there is a difference between good sound advice and spoonfeeding. Remember there are hundreds of parents in this area who have never heard of these forums and still manage to do the best for their children. I didn't think these forums were intended to replace independent thinking.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I haven't disagreed with Sally-Anne and have not said that this forum should replace one's own research and fact finding. What I said that there are very helpful and informative posts here on almost every thread, despite competition or whatever.
stowe

Post by stowe »

I would hope there would be limited competition about bus routes!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

:lol:
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

GailJ wrote:I have just read some of the awful, unsupportive responses to the poor parent that just asked for advice about transport from Kingston and it has just reminded me of how relieved I am to have moved from Surrey!!
That post is asking for advice about transport?

It struck me as a research for a book.

There's a difference between 'I live in Hampton, how do I get to Tiffin Boys', and 'Please give a list of all possible routes to SW London grammars from anywhere'....