be very careful

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
completely dissapointed

be very careful

Post by completely dissapointed »

This is foe any parent considering doing the 11 plus

Think very carefully if this is the right choice for your child.

I got swept along with the idea of a prestigous school not necessarily thinking which would suit my daughters personality.

To cut a long story short,my daughter has struggled to keep up,is completely unhappy and has lost all her confidence.

At the end of year 6 she got all level5 ,at the end of year 9 all level6.

The friends that she would have gone with have acchieved the same, and a lot of them bvetter,the difference being they are happy,enjoy school and have a lot more confidence not to mention they are not bogged under by homework and so they have time for a social life.

Going to a grammer doesn't necessarily mean a better education, I am now looking into moving her which I am hoping I have not left too late.

My daughter is paying a high price for my decision and it makes me sad to think of other people making the same mistake that I did.

It used to make me proud saying where she went to school.now all I want is to see her smileand be happy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The English KS3 results are not out yet - how can you know she has all level 6s?

Have you talked to the school? You can transfer to another school if you are convinced it was the wrong choice.

Most children with three level 5s thrive in a Grammar - in fact I can't thinl of one that I've taught that didn't ...
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Dear Completely Disappointed... Do you think that your daughter's reduced confidence is a product of the grammar school system in general or do you think it is specific to the school to which she attends? Currently we live in Leicestershire which doesn't have grammar schools and we are seriously thinking of Devon in order to send our son to Colyton. He is at the end of year 5 now and achieved level 5s in the optional SATs this year. He is definitely bright but terribly lazy and lacks motivation!! Reading your posting has made me question a grammar school for him.
I would love yours or any one else's opinion on this...
completely dissapointed

To Guest 55 regarding your query, my daughter has just finished year 10,so of obviously I know her results and those of her friends.

Regarding talking to the school I have,and it was decided that the best course of action taking into account that she had already started her GCSE syllabus was to continue at the school,but she is only doing 8 subjects and uses the extra time to concentrate on those.
It is Alevels I will be moving her for,as I said I hope it won't be too late.

To Eds Mum,you asked if I thought it was Grammer education or our particular school that had caused the problem,and to that I have no answer.
Lots of children do amazingly well in the grammer system and for these children it is obviously the right type of environment and I would never say otherwise.
My comment was when making the choice take into account other factors such as your childs personality,their attitude,travelling time,hobbies.......
the list goes on and on
Lots of factors make the difference ,and in my daughters case since having a long talk it wasn't any one thing it was the combination of things that have caused the problem,one of them being the pace at which they are expected to learn,another being the ammount of homework and the standard expected to reach.

Like I said at the start ,just make sure that you think it through,don't just look at the results and decide this is the school for my child,regardless.
Ther is a lot to be said about a school that teaches a broader range of subjects that engages the children and keeps them happy,after all not every child is a scholar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What does 'a broader range of subjects' mean?

Most Bucks Grammars offer a wider range than the alternative - with Drama, Dance, PE, Business Studies, Spanish [in addition to French and/or German] on offer in addition to the traditional offerings. There are also links with colleges at sixth-form to offer vocational options -

Perhaps your daughter was just unlucky - I hope she find something and somewhere to inspire her after GCSEs.
completely dissapointed

Guest 55,do I detect sarcasm in your replys?

If you compare subjects taught ast some comprehensive schools to that of the Devon grammers ,you will find that some do in fact offer a wider range of subjects which in fact will suit some children better than a very acaedemic environment.

As for the fact my daughter has been unlucky,she is not the only one,as both girls schools have a facility in place for girls struggeling,and it is not out of the norm for children to lower the number of GCSE sat.
Perhaps other people don't like to admit they have a struggling child,or heaven forbid they might have made a mistake.

At least I am holding my hands up,of course where you are things might be totally different.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No I was not being sarcastic - as a teacher in a Grammar I have NEVER met a child with 3 level 5s that has struggled.

Grammars in Bucks do offer a very wide range of options - as I said much wider than the alternative Upper schools -

Perhaps the difference is that Bucks Grammars take the top third or so - a very broad range of ability.

I do hope your daughter finds her niche - she is an able pupil that, perhaps, has not been inspired by her teachers as yet.
Katie

3 level 5s

Post by Katie »

I was interested to read the small voice of reason in your last posting. Our child wishes to attend a grammar sch which his family all attend. He made 3 x 5s and also won a full academic bursary for an independent school during the same period that he panicked over the 11+ papers and did not gain admsiion. He did not have any tutorinmg for the tests and is an August birthday baby.
We thought the clerk's behaviour shameful at our appeal and subsequently when he insisted on refering to our son as a child of low academic ability. We feel that he influenced the panel with his opinions and that this contributed to our failed appeal.
Our child's Head Teacher was most upset that the grammar school refused to find him a place and was kind enough to let us know that in his SATs results his scores had far exceeded those of the children who were offered a place at the grammar. All were tutored - some for two years prior to the tests, and several were a whole year older.
It's just so reassuring to hear an independent voice state the obvious when the school's admission's officers dchoose to ignore the facts!
Thank you for your post