Reasoning for Kings College Wimbledon

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

oak

Reasoning for Kings College Wimbledon

Post by oak »

Does anyone have any experience in what kind of reasoning is required for this exam at 11 plus as there appears to be no examples on their website?
tiffinboys

Re: Reasoning for Kings College Wimbledon

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps this post would get better response in Independent schools section. [moved by moderator]

I thought that preparation for Tiffin test would be sufficient for this Reasoning test as well. And KCS did advise not to do any intense coaching. :roll:
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

KCS is a mixed paper mostly verbal, but a bit of non-verbal as well. It is NOT multiple choice.

DS didn't sit for any state schools so I've no idea how it compares. However, in DSs year six boys from Surbiton Prep who got Tiffin offers sat for KCS and none of them got places, so I'm not sure that the years of Tiffin preparation helps - so don't be put off if you haven't gone down that route. DS's headteacher says they only look at VR if you didn't do well enough in the maths and English papers and thinking about it there were 2 boys at DS's 13+prep who left at year 6 for Tiffin (heavily tutored) and neither of them got into KCS either, only one even got an interview. So take comfort from the fact that it probably isn't very important!

One thing I will say about the KCS entry process is that after reports, tests and academic interviews they did select without a doubt the naturally brightest boys at DS's prep.

Good Luck to your DS.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin test is only NVR/VR. There is no English or Maths.

Those who do not succeed for KCS (or other indies), may do so for a number of reason. May be they didn't do well at English, Maths or Reasoning or at Interview.

Preparation for Tiffin reasoning papers is not enough for KCS, if applicants are not good in English/Maths or at interview.

As far as preparation for KCS or other indies is concerned, prep schools do that over many many years. Children who get place in KCS are certainly bright and same applies to children who get in Tiffin and other grammar schools. Many children who do not get in grammars, get into indies and vice versa. Some get offers from both.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

It's also down to numbers. KCS has a very small 11+ intake of usually about 15. Most prep schools finish at 13, and KCS will not accept 11+ applications from IAPS 13+ schools, but there are a fair few prep schools who stop at 11+ dotted around London as well as any state school applicants. KCS is on the tube and will attract the same applicants as Westminster, St Pauls and all the central London schools and entry is very competitive.
SW London is very wealthy, schools like KCS get the chance to be very selective about who they offer places to. They stress they want boys participating in all areas of school life, getting involved and having a go. Important points to bare in mind when hopefully the interviews approach.
I only look at this forum once in a blue moon, but if you do get an interview or want any further information do send me a message.

Good Luck Again.
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks everyone for your responses, very helpful indeed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now