Tablets - Nexus 7 v ipad mini v kindle fire HD

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
copella

Tablets - Nexus 7 v ipad mini v kindle fire HD

Post by copella »

Hi wonder if anyone can help me decide what to buy, whether it is a nexus 7, ipad mini or kindle fire HD. The ipad is lovely but very expensive and I have read good and bad things about the others. I am feeling very confused :? So any help would be gratefully received.
Tinkers

Re: Tablets - Nexus 7 v ipad mini v kindle fire HD

Post by Tinkers »

I have an ipad, which I think is great. The laptop is hardly ever pulled out. However I have no experience of other tablets so can't compare. My choice was based on the fact I bought an ipod mini several years ago and copied most of my CDs into itunes then. DH then got an ipod touch so we ended up with a selection of apps. An ipad was just a natural progression.

If you can have a play with any of these I would recommend it. Think about what you will use it for. Make sure you are happy with how each one does the things you want to do with it most

I currently use my for internet browsing, (I'm writing this post on my ipad) facebook, email, a few games I like and play music from it as I use it. I've also watched TV programs on it (we are a one TV house) and watch films. My DD uses it for homework and I can also set it up to tell me when DH leaves work. :lol:
I've got an app that allows me to print wirelessly to my printer. I had a spreadsheet app to keep track of how much mortgage we had left (don't use that now, don't have a mortgage anymore 8) ) and I can keep notes of stuff handy. I've got the free kindle app as well.

The camera is OK, but doesn't have a flash. I wouldn't be carrying it with me anyway and would use my phone, so I'm not too bothered. However I do keep all our photos on it.

Beware of those who say, 'dont buy an ipad' because they hate all things apple, but at the same time, beware those saying 'you must buy an ipad' because they think apple is wonderful. :lol: With both types ask why.
Last edited by Tinkers on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I love my iPad but wouldn't want to use it too often to read books as its too heavy. DD is getting an iPad mini for Christmas (she is paying half from savings).

I use it for forums, shopping, games, ebaying (although a better camera would be better for this), general Internet stuff such as a quick trip onto IMDB to see where else an actor might have been seen or looking up a recipe, tv catchup via itv player as the telly does not get this.

DD plays games on mine at the moment and DH uses it for Internet quick stuff - but he has a Mac too. I never use a laptop for home stuff now. DH intends to use iplayer to download programmes to watch on planes as he travels a lot.

iPads are expensive but they are really easy to use.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

For anyone on a budget there is always the Blackberry Playbook. I bought my DD one for passing her exams and it is fab for browsing the internet, facebook, email etc. (£129). Highly recommended!

Edited to add: That's for a 64GB!
Last edited by Pumpkin Pie on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I have been considering these too and have ruled out Kindle Fire. Saw it today and it just didn't appeal to me. The ipad mini was more expensive but I didn't quite see what more it offered.

Loved the Samsung Galaxy tab and there are some good deals.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung ... ne-1355621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nexus was the one I really wanted but for some reason the local shops here don't seem to have one to look at but for now I think I am settling for Samsung. My head is telling me to wait and buy in the new year though, the kindle fire is already selling for £99 and there could be further discounts.

I saw the blackberry notebook and its much bigger and doesn't have a sleek look. Its much thicker than the other tabs above. The notebook was the bargain tablet a month or so ago but there seem to be more of these budget options now and why I even feel hesitant to buy now rather than after Christmas.
Impossible is Nothing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I too have been researching this :roll: hubby would like one for Crimbo.

The Nexus 7 seems to be the alternative (good) android to Apple.

But hubby like the mini iPad - well, he would, wouldn't he! :(
copella

Post by copella »

Thanks for those relies. Any more thoughts also appreciated as they are helping me to feel more certain. I looked at the kindle and am probably ruling it out as it feels a bit chunky and I am not so sure that it is necessarily as good as the other two. My heart says apple as I love their products and we are an apple family with a mac and iPods. But my wallet screams cheaper. Will look into the Samsung suggested by snowdrops as well.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

I have an ipad and kindle fire - hardly ever use the latter - enough said.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

If you have and love your mac and ipods I would have thought an ipad would be the only choice.

I have avoided iphones and ipads for years, but as we now have a mac, various ipods and apple tv (all of which work perfectly and intuitively), I would find it difficult to give Samsung etc. (as much as I might like to) a chance, especially with a tablet.

All our pre apple mobiles, mp3's, PC,s, laptops and PVR's had problems and so I am sticking with apple now.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

copella wrote:we are an apple family with a mac and iPods. But my wallet screams cheaper. Will look into the Samsung suggested by snowdrops as well.
Us too, we have made the transition to Apple over the years, after too much frustration with MS products. We do have a laptop that runs Windows, basically because one of our hobbies is geocaching and my garmin GPS and other software I use won't talk to a mac. No one else will use it for anything else as it takes too long to boot up.

I'd have thought if you are an Apple family the choice is no brainer.