City of London boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lego mum

City of London boys

Post by Lego mum »

Hi

I'm new to the forum. My DS will be sitting the 11+ at City in January. Thanks to all the advice I have picked up in past posts regarding this admission process. I am very anxious for my DS. He's not very sporty and quite small for his age and probably a little emotionally immature but he's bright and loves science and he's always been very articulate. He's at a state primary and we're touch and go for a good local state high school so we've decided to sit him for some indies. I have a back-up indie which is lovely but not the most sought after and truthfully I feel that for the money we should try to aim bit higher. DH would like to sit offer him an Indie if he's offered a place. Now I'm starting to feel a bit out of our depth. He has a tutor and she says he's doing we'll but having seen the school he's got his heart set on it. Secretly I do too but I've been trying to present a balanced view about our choices to him and keep some perspective on more important matters in life. He is trying hard and has come on in leaps and bounds. Any advice from current parents for the exam prep would be most welcome, especially if any parents here have children attending this or other selective schools with a mild learning difficulty.

Thanks.
Salcombe

Re: City of London boys

Post by Salcombe »

My son did the entrance exam last year at 10/11 years, albeit, for entry at 13 from a Prep School. There is however a separate test for 11 entry and it it appears to be aligned with the state system on level of maths etc.

I think City is a good school and does take a large, both geographical and cultural, mix of boys (as well as a near 50:50 split from state and independent sectors).

As for the exam, it appears to be a combination of rapid VR and numerical reasoning with some NVR (probably the University of Durham but not entirely sure) and then conventional maths and english. The reasoning tests are an important first obstacle and your present school head should have your sons year 5 or 6 CAT scores, as these will give a good guide as to how he will be placed. VR and QR levels of over 120-125 would probably be needed as a minimum (this is a guestimate from talking to other parents).

The maths is not intentionally tricky or opaque (alegbra and puzzles were not a feature unlike Westminster) and similarly, the english was fair and routine.

Given that the sports grounds are some distance off-site, this issue may well suit your child.

Scholarships and bursaries are generous.

Don't be put off applying at all. I know several boys and families there and they are very 'normal'.

Hope this helps
Lego mum

Re: City of London boys

Post by Lego mum »

Thanks. It's helpful and useful information. We're working hard this end and will give it our best. Thanks again.