Arts award - portfolio preparation?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bestichka

Arts award - portfolio preparation?

Post by Bestichka »

DS wants to apply for an arts award as part of our efforts to get into a decent Indie (no chance at sports award at all). School requires a portfolio of 10 pieces of work, and among possible suggestions lists photographs of any 3D objects created. DS only does drawing (quite a lot for his age and at good level), but i doubt i'd persuade him to produce anything of high standard crafts-wise... He's happy to do lots of portraits/still-lifes, but hates landscapes and is very picky re crafts... Is it really important to produce samples of all art forms, or just show-case what he's best at?

Sorry for a silly question, but at the moment thinking of an arts portfolio is a welcome relief from VR/Math etc... :roll:
harrow123

Re: Arts award - portfolio preparation?

Post by harrow123 »

Bestichka wrote:DS wants to apply for an arts award as part of our efforts to get into a decent Indie (no chance at sports award at all). School requires a portfolio of 10 pieces of work, and among possible suggestions lists photographs of any 3D objects created. DS only does drawing (quite a lot for his age and at good level), but i doubt i'd persuade him to produce anything of high standard crafts-wise... He's happy to do lots of portraits/still-lifes, but hates landscapes and is very picky re crafts... Is it really important to produce samples of all art forms, or just show-case what he's best at?

Sorry for a silly question, but at the moment thinking of an arts portfolio is a welcome relief from VR/Math etc... :roll:
Speak to the DS's art teacher first, if not yet spoken and he should guide you further
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Thanks harrow123,

problem is, at DS's current primary there is no such thing as Art Teacher - they hardly ever have arts at all (which grieves DS a lot as he misses this part), all is done by their class teacher who's really good at math but leaves much to be desired arts-wise. I did write to him re this, but don't expect much of quality advice, hence appealing to the Forum Collective Brain :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

i suspect they may be happy with drawing and photography (perhaps themes on still life) what they probably won't want is large pieces of sculpture arriving on the doorstep - hence the request for a photo of things like that.
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:i suspect they may be happy with drawing and photography (perhaps themes on still life) what they probably won't want is large pieces of sculpture arriving on the doorstep - hence the request for a photo of things like that.
Reminds me of a friend's child who went for an interview for Dentistry. One is required to demonstrate manual dexterity, for which purpose FDC had some photos of handiwork. Upon leaving the interview room, progress was impeded by full size metal structure of some kind of sea creature- dolphin or something, and proud looking artist. My own OH is a dentist but made it without venturing into the world of marine sculpture.

Sorry, slightly OT.
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Well, we're definitely not going down the route of shipping a 3D monument to the school gate! :lol:

My question was more around can we get away with just drawings of all sorts and avoid handmade crafts (presented via photos) at any cost...
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Bestichka, I think his best bet is to show work he's proud of. Ten sketches and paintings of a good standard will do better than six pics and half a dozen hasty, half hearted sculptures.

My DS is also going for an art scholarship but won't do still lives, however much I suggest them. Just refuses. So his portfolio is all paintings of imaginary stuff. Bit limited, but I wonder what they get from boys at this age.
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

"just refuses" - gosh, sounds soooo familiar :)))
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now