Level of Difficulty between Indie Papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
UmSusu

Level of Difficulty between Indie Papers

Post by UmSusu »

Can anyone advise me about the level of difficulty between some of the indie papers. We are thinking of going for KES in Birmingham and have been going through the various sample papers but not sure where is best to start so that we can build up the level of difficulty. These are what we have:
1. NLCS
2. City of London Boys
3. Dulwich College
4. Perse
5. Habs Boys
6. Manchester Grammar

I am not sure where Perse should be placed but I think Manchester Grammar are the toughest - would anyone agree? Are there any tougher papers out there?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

UmSusu
UmSusu
NASA

Re: Level of Difficulty between Indie Papers

Post by NASA »

Hi UmSusu

I am so glad you've put these on here :) I am working with ds myself, have been trying to find indie school papers to do with him. But to be honest I didn't know where to start :(
I wonder do you know why kes don't have anything like this on their site?

Thanks again, I know I've not answered your question but extremely grateful :D

NASA
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Well I am glad you found what you were looking for NASA :D . Things get a little quiet this time of year but I was hoping someone would share their thoughts - maybe you could let me know how you get on with them ?

I don't know about you, but even though DS is keen on the school, he has lost the drive he had before the KEGS exam.

UmSusu
UmSusu
NASA

Post by NASA »

Ds too has lost all motivation, I actually now have to bribe him to get him working, he was so motivated with kegs exams. I think because he didn't get the results he wanted that's deflated him a little :( although he did get a fantastic result at hgs but its not the school he wanted.
My logic is he is getting better with every exam hgs being the 3rd and so with kes he could do well too - positive thinking :)

He is achieving levels 5s in a very less than average primary and I know he can do well, it's just getting him to see the same,

Keeping positive
NASA
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

NASA, do you mean that he was ranked 3rd for the HGS exam? If so, I know of children who were ranked much further down that got fantastic results for the KEGS exams and will easily secure CHB. He should be very proud 8) of what he achieved there. Unfortunately, the KEGS exam came first and might have thrown him. Also, the KEGS CEM exam needs a particular type of preparation and despite the big claims of CEM, I believe they are now very tutor-dependent in Brum rather than tutor-proof and unfortunately there are very deserving kids that miss out as a result :x .

The good news for you should be that the layout of KES is more similar to HGS than the KEGS exam: maths, written composition and VR (although the maths is more advanced - the sample they send you is typical of section A. It gets harder after that). The main difference is that KES have comprehension too. If he did so well at HGS there is every chance he will do well at KES as long as his maths is up to scratch. If I were you, I would tell him to be encouraged by that and keep going.

You are right though that it can still be deflating if he did not get the score he wanted for KEGS . We are in a similar position : DS was always top of a very able class and found that several of his friends who were always below him at school got significantly higher marks than him and look like they will get CHB but DS looks like he will miss out by just a few marks - he was devastated and blamed me for DIYing rather than sending him to a tutor as his friends had teased him all along that he couldn't get in without 'proper' tuition :( . In fact he insisted that the results were wrong and I should contact them to check the marks :roll: . I am trying to redeem myself with KES (we would have sat it anyway as we love it and it is very near). I am hoping that he will be driven to do his best for the next exam, but I think the shock was a huge blow and it is difficult to get him back on track.

UmSusu
UmSusu
NASA

Post by NASA »

Oh dear children can be so nasty at times :( such a shame they're saying such things to your ds! He should be very proud for having a go, and that's what I tel ds all the time.

Hgs being the 3rd exam he sat (ranked 74), so after KE and QM, I think he needed the exam experience. Unfortunately not something you can recreate at home :(

It's good to know kes is similar to hgs, I've had a look at the schools you've put up on your initial posts, the maths papers I belive he could manage its the English comp I worry about as when you say comp ds switches off :x much to my frustration.

It was always kes for us too, we actually went to 2 open days, the first we were so taken back that we forgot to ask any relevant question. I think ds did most of the talking which was mainly about the sports, maths & science. So we had to visit again having digested everything and a list of question that needed answering. I must say the staff, pupils and parents were all very welcoming!!

We will try the papers and see how we go :) trying to keep him focused and now that his primary school have been informed they are giving him so much attention :)

Here's to a happy week
Good luck and thank you
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Perse
Dulwich College
NLCS and City of London Boys
Habs Boys
Manchester Grammar

I would put them in that order as per difficulty. Perse & Dulwich are quite similar levels. NLCS & City are of equal difficulty. Habs and Manchester Grammar Paper 1 are almost equal difficulty. Manchester Grammar Paper 2 is the most challenging of the above.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thankyou leanmeanmum :D

We started off with Perse so that sounds about right. I doubt we will get to the level of MGS paper 2 though -- my mind boggles just looking at them! They can't possibly be expecting the usual 80% plus of other practice papers can they?

Thanks again.

UmSusu
UmSusu
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

don't know the actual scores for MGS Paper 2 but have heard that if a child scores around 60% on that paper they would get an offer
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

leanmeamum wrote:Perse
Dulwich College
NLCS and City of London Boys
Habs Boys
Manchester Grammar

I would put them in that order as per difficulty. Perse & Dulwich are quite similar levels. NLCS & City are of equal difficulty. Habs and Manchester Grammar Paper 1 are almost equal difficulty. Manchester Grammar Paper 2 is the most challenging of the above.
I thought Habs Boys was slightly tougher than MGS. And SPGS paper is probably tougher than both.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now